Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2005, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassBustersLawn
DKIESLA said "That's called price fixing and it's illegal. The FTC would be all over you."

WHAT IS IT CALLED FOR GAS STATIONS? Talk about "price fixing"! They ALL go UP and Down in PRICE the SAME AMOUNT at the SAME TIME, almost to the minute!! So if the GOVERNMENT isn't concerned enough to do anything about the MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR GASOLINE COMPANIES, why would they mess with some mom/pop & small business LCO'S???????

Personally, I think it is HIGH TIME to get "ASSOCIATIONS" (not unions) together. Members pay a small fee to belong. Set "pricing guidelines" for their AREA. Maybe even "share" clients or set up "exclusive territories" like many businessess do. Should also be able to get members deals on equipment, etc. with "SELECT" dealers.

Does the GOVT wants to waste alot of time monkeying with small operations? I don't think so. Hell, they couldn't even get anything done to MicroSoft when they went after them.

Mike
Gas stations post their prices for everyone to see. Do you?
Old 04-10-2005, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassBustersLawn
DKIESLA said "That's called price fixing and it's illegal. The FTC would be all over you."

WHAT IS IT CALLED FOR GAS STATIONS? Talk about "price fixing"! They ALL go UP and Down in PRICE the SAME AMOUNT at the SAME TIME, almost to the minute!! So if the GOVERNMENT isn't concerned enough to do anything about the MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR GASOLINE COMPANIES, why would they mess with some mom/pop & small business LCO'S???????

Personally, I think it is HIGH TIME to get "ASSOCIATIONS" (not unions) together. Members pay a small fee to belong. Set "pricing guidelines" for their AREA. Maybe even "share" clients or set up "exclusive territories" like many businessess do. Should also be able to get members deals on equipment, etc. with "SELECT" dealers.

Does the GOVT wants to waste alot of time monkeying with small operations? I don't think so. Hell, they couldn't even get anything done to MicroSoft when they went after them.

Mike
We just had an investigation into this and the Government said they found no colusion between gas companies. Mind you the government takes more tax when the price goes up. Like said in the previous post, prices are posted on the sign, one gas station may go up before the other but the second one doesn't have to go up if it doesn't want to.

"This topic has been beat deader then the already dead horse it road in on."
Old 04-10-2005, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeisala
Nobagger - I understand where you are going with this and I think we agree. The only difference is you threw the term "union" out there and that just freaks people out. I think by "union" you meant something more like an association and these already exist. My only point is that these associations (in the green industry anyhow ) don't really seem to serve any other purpose but an excuse to get liquored up, eat some bad food and have some industry rep show me how to use a chainsaw. Now, if the associations already in existence actually lobbied for regulation, that may serve a purpose but everybody in this business just seems to want government to leave them alone regardless if some regulation may help or not.

Here in Washington, the building industry association is one of the largest and most powerful lobbying groups. If the building industry wants it, they usually get it. I understand that the green industry isn't anywhere as large as the building industry but why can't we have some representation as well?

Hell, it's probably my fault. Maybe I should start my own association - THEN THINGS WOULD CHANGE!!!
DK yeah I didn't mean a "union union" hell I belong to one and they are usless, but yes an association of some type.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-10-2005, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger
Well at least we would know where we stand. I would much rather try to please the "paying" customers (one's that would somewhat know the price) then haggle with a customer that had her neighbor's kid doing it for the last 2 years at $10.00 a shot. But I think there is an easy resolution, I think everone should have to be licensed in the application of treatments. This way if you go through this much hassle everyone will know your serious about this business and charge accordingly.

As far as I knew everyone already does. Do some states not require it?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
As far as I knew everyone already does. Do some states not require it?
Yes Packer, but I meant become licensed for treatments to even run a mower of any size on someone elses lawn.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@SGLC.ca
We just had an investigation into this and the Government said they found no colusion between gas companies. Mind you the government takes more tax when the price goes up. Like said in the previous post, prices are posted on the sign, one gas station may go up before the other but the second one doesn't have to go up if it doesn't want to.

See thats not how it is here, one goes up they all go up except Wal Mart. Wal Mart is always .02 below every other station and you bet the other stations complain about Wal Mart. Wal Mart isn't keeping up with the local petroleum association blah blah. The other day we had 2 gas stations that were on the same street both run out of gas and deisel fuel(at the same time, yeh right), guess what all the other staions in the area did, you guessed it, raised the prices .10 a gallon.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 04-10-2005, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's kinda funny - here in WA you have to pass a test and be licensed with the state to cut hair but anyone can run around someone else's property with all kinds of potentially dangerous lawn equipment and no one seems to care.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

dkgiesla said "Gas stations post their prices for everyone to see. Do you?"

What the h@ll does that have to do with anything? Just makes it EASIER for all the gas stations to keep their prices the SAME!

You can't tell me that ALL gas companies have EXACTLY the same overhead/expenses. Some get their gas from foreign sources, ship it THOUSANDS OF MILES across ocean on a boat AND COINCIDENTALLY it is the EXACT SAME PRICE as the companies that use domestic production???

PLEASE. Get real!

Mike
6x10 Lone Wolf dump trlr w/lndscp gate
82" Lastec 3682
60" Exmark Lazer
48" & 44" Exmark LazerHPs
44" Toro Z-147
36" Exmark MetroHP WB
34" Encore Z-34
Gator-Rator
JRCO Elec Brdcst Sprdr
Brandlein FIREBALL Grinder
2005 & 2007 Cyclone Rakes
2005 BOSS 8' plow
2011 SnowEx spreader
2006 Billy Goat 18hp Leaf Loader
Licensed Pesticide Applicator
Purdue U. Trained
Old 04-10-2005, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS
See thats not how it is here, one goes up they all go up except Wal Mart. Wal Mart is always .02 below every other station and you bet the other stations complain about Wal Mart. Wal Mart isn't keeping up with the local petroleum association blah blah. The other day we had 2 gas stations that were on the same street both run out of gas and deisel fuel(at the same time, yeh right), guess what all the other staions in the area did, you guessed it, raised the prices .10 a gallon.
What you've explained is the simple rules of supply and demand. If they can get it and people are dumb enough to pay it then so be it. We have a gas station charging $2.46 for reg. up the street and down a block the other direction they're charging $2.29. Refineries are part of the problem with gas as is OPEC. A cartel that does meet to set production limits and is thereby controlling the price of fuel. Americans won't buy more fuel efficeint cars and there are more cars on the road everyday, so demand has gone up and supply is not increasing, thus higher prices. Even if you start an association there are too many ways for peole to get in against you.How can you possibly expect to police it? Wouldn't be cost effective to try and regulate it.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
Thats why the government should do it and NOT a union.
Arrrrrrg! No! What are you saying?? The only thing that could be worse than unions would be more government BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@SGLC.ca
I'd go for regulation of the industry as long as they don't over regulate it.
Define "over regulate". Ask 10 people, get 15 answers. NO.
No unions either, because then , we'd have to change the scrub posts to "scabs", and the customers would hire the scabs because they're cheaper (no union dues, etc).
Crawdad