Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2005, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassBustersLawn
dkgiesla said "Gas stations post their prices for everyone to see. Do you?"

What the h@ll does that have to do with anything? Just makes it EASIER for all the gas stations to keep their prices the SAME!

You can't tell me that ALL gas companies have EXACTLY the same overhead/expenses. Some get their gas from foreign sources, ship it THOUSANDS OF MILES across ocean on a boat AND COINCIDENTALLY it is the EXACT SAME PRICE as the companies that use domestic production???

PLEASE. Get real!

Mike
Just down the street from my house are two gas stations right across the street from the other, a Chevron and an Arco. Right now, Chevron is selling their gas for $2.41 per gallon for regular and Arco is selling their regular for $2.33 per gallon. Arco is ALWAYS 8 to 11 cents cheaper than Chevron. Is that price fixing?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

NO. That ONE SPECIFIC CASE is not price fixing. Sounds like ARCO is a LOWBALLER!

But seriously, you pulled one exception out the bag. But the RULE is that they are all the same price or within a penny. I've many times seen the people at stations across the street from each other changing the sign at the SAME TIME.

Sounds like you want to ARGUE about this. But I think MOST WILL AGREE that it is like I have experienced it here!

Mike
6x10 Lone Wolf dump trlr w/lndscp gate
82" Lastec 3682
60" Exmark Lazer
48" & 44" Exmark LazerHPs
44" Toro Z-147
36" Exmark MetroHP WB
34" Encore Z-34
Gator-Rator
JRCO Elec Brdcst Sprdr
Brandlein FIREBALL Grinder
2005 & 2007 Cyclone Rakes
2005 BOSS 8' plow
2011 SnowEx spreader
2006 Billy Goat 18hp Leaf Loader
Licensed Pesticide Applicator
Purdue U. Trained
Old 04-10-2005, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You Kids and Your Unions....Its a Free For All in the Green Industry...Only the Strong Survive...Unions are For Girls.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

My 2 cents

Hmmm ....

This thread is going in some of the strangest places so I thought that I might jump in.

Unions -- are for employees and I am not an employee and hope to never be one again. So much for unions.

Government Regulations -- they already meddle too much according to some of you and me too. Business Licenses, liability insurance requirements, taxes, applicator licenses. And someone out there wants MORE government meddling? No thank you.

Price Fixing ... hmm, seems to me that we got off the path ... the term is Anti-trust. When companies get together and plan their prices then it is part of the anti-trust laws but then, maybe "price fixing" does come in at that point somewhere. Airlines follow each others prices but they don't plan it in advance. One changes prices and watches what the other airlines do.

Body shops and Mechanics DO use a standards books and it tells them how much TIME something should take. The individual shops set their own hourly rates. We already have something like that. Seems as though I have found (in several places on the net) estimates of the number of hours it should take to do so much land with a deck that is x-inches wide and running at y-miles per hour. YOU set your own hourly rate.

For those of you paying attention to my posts, you know that I don't understand the whiners. I just can not imagine the board of directors of, say, Microsoft, whining about some of the smaller companies eating into their revenues. ("Oh, we should get laws passed that require them to sell THEIR software at high prices".) Not gonna happen.

If you are a true business man then you know about costs, revenues, sales, budgets, projections and COMPETITION from all angles and you factor that in. When you know that someone is operating at lower prices, stop whining and see what you can do to cut costs.

A little hint. If you are operating on a 10% margin then you will have to increase sales by $1000 in order to see an increase in profit of $100. If you cut costs by $100 the you see and increase in profits of $100. If you can't figure out what that means then maybe you should become an employee again and join the union.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
Arrrrrrg! No! What are you saying?? The only thing that could be worse than unions would be more government BS.

Yeah but thats better then some mafia run union collecting dues for work they never do and telling us all how to run our companies.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
Its not going to happen in the lawn industry, like i explained before, if there is some sort of price regulating then who is to say the customers will agree to the prices? Hell, they could all tell us to go F ourselves and go out and buy mowers and start doing it themselves.

I agree it will not happen. Just saying it would be nice.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yeah but thats better then some mafia run union collecting dues for work they never do and telling us all how to run our companies.
That sounds a lot like what the government does.
Crawdad
Old 04-11-2005, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Lightbulb Not a union…a toll bridge! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobagger
Was just posting a reply about free estimates and it got me thinking. Like I said in my reply was I would be glad to join a "union" or some type of association that leveled the playing field for everyone. With very simple and minor regulations like, a lawn between 7k to 12k sq ft. must be charged between say $20.00 to $27.00. etc. And we are just talking lawns, no landscaping, JUST MOWING. I really think something like this would have to make us more professional and weed out the scrubs and lowballers. I know this would be a long shot to say the least, but ya never know.
Funny but I thought about the same thing on that thread. LOL!

Ok let me explain…we need legislation that REQUIRES all persons cutting grass for a fee to be licensed, bonded and to carry insurance…or be subject to a fine imprisonment or both! Ouch! LOL!

Sorry but this IS a needed incentive. LOL!

This will keep the scrubs out, the local counties and the IRS will get their dues, and improve our standard of living, and the consumer will get the same protection of a knowledgeable professional he gets from a plumber or electrician.

Moreover, it’s going to take some partnering of a well established and politically connected institution who will have a vested interest…hmm!

That sounds like the insurance industry would fit that bill!

Ok folks lets put this site (LS) to work, start by writing to you congrassman, and make a difference.

PS
Oops, sorry about the spelling error…congrassman…but you’ve got to admit, it might fit the bill! LOL!

It’s all good! Enjoy! Peace!

Regards,

EC-Rider :
Old 04-11-2005, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS
I'm not saying it would work but body shops, most service garages here all have a set hourly rate that is the same. I know all the body shops here belong to a oraganization to keep hourly rates the same.

It's not an organization that keeps their rates the same, It's the insurance companies.
The insurance industry regulates their prices and if the shops don't go along they go out of business.
Price fixing as well.......should be illegal.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thats why the government should do it and NOT a union.
What other industries are asking for more government regulation?