Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2005, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

connecting to galvanized steel

I have a chalenge. without putting in a whole new system i have an old system that is run with 1/2 inch gal steel pipes in the yard. this is only one zone but it is run by a 6hp in-ground pump that can sustain 70 pounds of presure. i am gonna try to unscrew the vertical pipe from the 90 and install a tee. but if it breaks and i have to cut it before the 90 what would be the options?? i have seen the new funny pipe that is blue in color and has a connector that just is just press on. is there such a thing that will press onto the steel pipe. i also have seen this in copper. has anyone seen something that will help with this??
2000 Dixie Chopper 50"
Stihl edger
Husquvarna trimmer
Stihl BP Blower
Husquvarna BP Blower
6x14 7ton Dump Trailer
ONE MAN OPERATION
Old 04-11-2005, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

we used to connect galv. to pvc with compression repair couplers.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We used to thread galvanized pipe.........
Oh, for you youngsters, they do make compresion repair couplings for galvanized too. Worse case scenario, you buy two repair couplers, one for galvanized and one for pvc and swap the rubbers to fit your situation. to make sure you have a way to anchor past the coupling though or it might blow out.
If you know an "old" plumber, he might still have a set of cutting dies and re-thread the pipe for you.
Any one else out there remember how to cut and thread galvanized swing joints? And can you still buy pipe dope? most heads still say "use no dope". I always read that to say no paste either and again for you youngsters, it's not an anti-drug slogan.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

bic... I think the PVC and galvanized compression couplings are the same size. They are both IPS.

Have threaded many swing joints in the past, then started buying threaded nipples. Not many remember that you make up the swing joint tight, and then back it off 1 to 11/2 turns.

When they came out with those PVC swing joints with Acme threads, I thought it was Christmas time in July.

Another old method - sweating copper shrub risers. Lay a dozen or so across the tailgate of the truck, turn the torch at an angle to preheat the next riser in line while sweating the previous. And I don't want to see any of those dripd or runs either.

What about grey SDR-21 PVC made by Telsco. Still run across that in the grouns, and they quit selling it locally over 20 yrs ago.

Jerry R

Jerry R
Old 04-12-2005, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
What about grey SDR-21 PVC made by Telsco. Still run across that in the grouns, and they quit selling it locally over 20 yrs ago.

Jerry R
This may be what my technician found last week. Never seen it before, but is was gray, looked like PVC but VERY thin and brittle.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Find a Waterworks Supply house...

..and buy one of their special compression fittings (coupling, male adapter, whatever fits your application) - they are a notch above standard compression fittings, with the means to externally grab onto the pipe, and prevent blowouts. With these in hand, you don't have to waste time trying to unthread old galvanized.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicmudpuppy
We used to thread galvanized pipe.........
Oh, for you youngsters, they do make compresion repair couplings for galvanized too. Worse case scenario, you buy two repair couplers, one for galvanized and one for pvc and swap the rubbers to fit your situation. to make sure you have a way to anchor past the coupling though or it might blow out.
If you know an "old" plumber, he might still have a set of cutting dies and re-thread the pipe for you.
Any one else out there remember how to cut and thread galvanized swing joints? And can you still buy pipe dope? most heads still say "use no dope". I always read that to say no paste either and again for you youngsters, it's not an anti-drug slogan.
i HAVE a pipe die LOL

guess i am old.........

a lot of the old mains we tap into here are galvanized
i cut out a section, tap some threads then use a pvc expansion fitting with appropriate female thread fittings on each end.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap