Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2005, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Job Booking

How far out are your hardscape crews booked? I have one dedicated hardscape crew. We are booked until July. I'm hitting that threshold where consumers are starting to communicate that they don't want to wait until July. For the contractors that are booked farther out than July, is most of your work word of mouth?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ad another crew. When I hit 6 weeks people lose interest.

Old 04-12-2005, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

same here. i am about 4 weeks out right now.

problem is that adding another crew is not really an easy thing to do. you need a foreman for the crew that knows what he is doing, and then you need a vehicle, all tools, etc.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 04-12-2005, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of our work is word of mouth or walk ins at the retail. We do have a few crews booked that far.

I'm not sure what to tell you Mike ...I know of several small firms that book up for the season and are happy with that. Personally I would hate to do that ....

If you can't add another crew , how about making it a larger crew. We are short one foreman this year for construction and that is what we will do until I can pick one of the skilled laborers to step up.

Our normal size crew is 3-4 guys .... I've proven time and time again that larger crews can work(7-8). You just need a kick ass foreman, great organization and a steady supply of materials.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up

Hi Guys, I'd go with adding more unskilled labour to the crew, so that my foreman is just levelind and laying stone/ brick [ hopefully he's got a right handman] working beside him.....There were times we even started jobs, delayed for materials so we could start other jobs or complete them.[what ever the case maybe?]...."Just be Thankful you got the jobs at your price, is what I'm thinking?"- Regards Saxon
Old 04-12-2005, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YardPro
same here. i am about 4 weeks out right now.

problem is that adding another crew is not really an easy thing to do. you need a foreman for the crew that knows what he is doing, and then you need a vehicle, all tools, etc.
exactly.............
Old 04-12-2005, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

WELL AT LEAST THAT'S A GOOD PROBLEM! Actually I'm happily running into this problem myself, I am getting packed and we have ALOT of garden work to do that needs to get done too and not many guys I trust to leave alone. Well I'd rather be working these 18 hour days than sitting at home like jan/feb.What do you guys do when it(knock on wood) rains for a week.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

push the schedule back a week
Old 04-13-2005, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you think you should do Mike?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kris, two weeks ago, I hired somebody that I used to work with. I mentioned him on here before. He is going to do design work. He's a good guy. Hort degree, Cert. Arborist, ICPI cert., and has 12 years of field experience. Currently, he is doing design at night and running the hardscape crew during the day. I've decided I'm going to run an ad for a hardscape foreman. If I find somebody, I'm going to have him work on the hardscape crew and find out what he knows. If it turns out he is capable to run a job, then I will add another crew and see how it goes.

If that doesn't work, I will stick with one hardscape crew. It won't break my heart if I can't add another hardscape crew.