Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2005, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

52" Stander with ACS and Meg-mo's: a review

OK so yesterday was the first day mowing with the new 52". The Stander was great,I had none of the problems I had last year with the 61", no clumping, no bogging, I am pleased

the ACS works very well, although the spring is very tight and makes it a little difficult to operate from the position on the Stander. I am sure that will loosen over time.......great product.....

THE Meg-mo's........I have to say I was a little disappointed in the morning....I did a couple of larger country properties that had alot of wild onions growing. The blades would leave the onions cut but alot longer than the grass.....also it seemed that at full speed the cut was suffering. So........at lunch I took the blades off to inspect and found the edges to be not as sharp as I thought they should .......so I sharpened them and that made the difference. The blades seemed to cut as well as anything else, but with one added benefit. It seems like the Meg-mos do truely reduce the discharge to significantly smaller particles. I had absolutley no clippings showing at any of the 10 lawns I did. In fact one customer called last night to see if I had actually mowed her back yard. She said she didn't see any clipppings. That made me think.......

I will have to see what happens when it is damp. The deck is realtively clean, but will still need some scraping. The blades left good stripes also.

I am still evaluating.......

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 04-13-2005, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you saying that new meg-mo's aren't sharp enough? I was thinking of using that system on our 52" Sentar...
Old 04-13-2005, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I"ll be interested in how they perform on a wet day.Sounds good so far.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am saying that after I sharpened them they seems to perform better.

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 04-15-2005, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Derek-Yesterday was our first mowing day as well. For those who don't know:I am running 48" Standers, and one is set up with an ACS and MegMos, and the other is factory mulch kit with single Raptor blades. I liked the performance of the ACS yesterday, but I also noticed it a little tight to open and close over the course of the day. I am wondering how all the flexing is going to take it's toll on the unit over the course of the summer.. I am also wondering about the HP of the 17 Kawasaki for the MegMOs. I noticed a significant power drain on the mower with the MegMos on it. Even with the discharge wide open, I still had a few clumping issues with lush turf areas. On the non-ferted lawns, they seemed to do OK, and seemed to enhance the stripes as well. I noticed a weird noise under the deck at the end of the day yesterday, and pulled the belt cover to find the right side deck belt was missing some pieces here and there. The belts only have about 50 hours on them , so I am wondering if the stress of the MEgMos added to its early demise. I am replacing the belt this weekend, and I am going to pull the MegMos and sharpen them as well. I'll check back in next week to give a further update..

Bill
Old 04-15-2005, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I run doubles Gators on my 52" standers with 17hp. Defently a loss of power with the dual blades. The new 52" I order has 25hp so there should be better performance out of it with the doubles.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous