Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2005, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

How Many of you are solo?

I was just wondering how many of you all do this on your own? How many accounts do you have and so fourth.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Solo Here

I am solo, had 4 contracts last year and have 7 so far for this season. I have recently put an ad in the local county paper. I am looking for about 10 contracts and am thinking about bidding on the HOA of the subdivision I live in. I am hoping to find someone to help me, but if I dont, I can handle the work. I have recently bought a 36 inch Exmark, other equipment I have include, Echo stick edger, Echo weed trimmer, Snapper 21 inch mower, Stihl Backpack blower. I work off a 4 X 8 trailer that I pull with a 94 honda accord, when I get some more work, I will upgrade the vehicle. All in due time.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I am solo for most part. I had 6 lawns last year and I picked up 16 this year and people still calling. It is getting pretty hard to plan out my week due to my regular 40 hour work week.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Solo here, 72 accounts, can handle at least 30 to 40 more by myself. If it ever gets to hectic I'll just weed out the sh!tty accounts. Their all pretty much small lawns.

But remember its not how many lawns, its how much money you profit.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Solo, 2nd year and as of today I have 29 accounts. I also work 45 hrs. per week managing a store. With another 10,000 postcards going out within the next 3 weeks, I'll quickly be moving into phase 2 of my biz plan and stepping down. I should be over 100 accounts by the end of May.
Best of luck!
Old 04-12-2005, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Solo

Had seven accounts last year. Had to leave the state of GA due to marriage problems. Now in my second season trying to pick up where I left off. It is a grind but it is all mine.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

this is my third year in business and I am solo also. I didnt have much last year, but business is going great for me. I am up to 25 accounts and I am still growing. I go to college full time, but I can handle it. Its great money for a college kid. I do great work according to my customers. Next year I hope it gets to the point where I have no choice to hire someone.
I have a 60inch hustler super Z with a BAC-VAC side discharge option, a 42 inch mini Z with the same option. Multiple echo trimmers, edgers, blowers, sprayers, etc. I pull a 16 foot trailer with an 88 chevy. I am also looking at getting a newer 3/4 ton truck next year.

I wish everyone luck!!!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

I started last fall and was worried about getting enough to make a living this year trying this. Well I underbid a couple of small business' but have learned on those for the future. I have 16 accounts total now including those 3 business accounts and I'm getting plenty of calls. Here's my whole secret really for picking up what I have so far with many calls not getting answered since I'm so busy. All I did was put an ad in the local paper in early March and ran it 4 straight Sundays for around $80. Everybody who calls says, "I saw your ad in the paper". It has beaten my flyers (which I never plan to do ever again unless I really want to target a specific neighborhood). I think it's all timing. I thought it was a no brainer to run it right when spring was upon us. It probably wouldn't hurt to run another one for this month to complete my accounts for the season (at least all I can handle on my own). I did get a couple of calls so far from my yellow page listing as well, but they were one time cuts. Granted the city I live in (Raleigh, NC) is really growing and the paper goes out to alot of folks around here. May not work as well in smaller towns and suberbs. Good luck to ya.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm solo too, ithink i mailed my postcards to early this year(first of March) there was still 2' of snow on the ground.i just re mailed 300 or so and placed an ad in the local coastal newspaper.the phone is now starting to ring.

Ron
Old 04-15-2005, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I am not solo and I don't have very many accounts I don't know how you guys do it I am busy in the office all day and have 3 guys that stay busy in the field

Last edited by marionlandscape; 04-15-2005 at 10:19 AM.