Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm solo. I have 10 residential contracts along with a real estate investor that has 11 properties. He just calls me when he needs something. I also have a 40hr job. I plan to have at least 10 more contracts in the next month. It's not easy...especially when you're 5'2" 130 lbs female. It takes a lot out of me but I plan to go full time in 2006 so I have to make sure I have contracts in place. I'd rather work super hard now to be able to work JUST for myself later.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Guys

Solo Op here, started in mid-March after being laid off from the factory I worked in. Have 14 accounts so far with more to come I hope.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

solo here well i use a family member once a week..

last year i had 13 accounts,this year after haveing a flyer distrubtion company pass out 4000 flyers i now have 36 all rez accounts with 3 small stores and one good sized medical plaza..

small set up to

1 36 in exmark (sulky)with striper
1 red max 2400s trimmer
1 shindawa 231
1 red max 2500 stick edger
1 mclane edger
1 stihl back pack blower
1 stihl hand held blower
1 21in snapper with striper
all jammed into a 2000 ram with a 5x8 trailer all insured to,trying to do things the right way
Old 04-16-2005, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm solo too. I've got 20 accounts in my second year. I don't know how some of you guys work 40+ hour weeks and still do 20 or 30 lawns. There is only so much light in one day. I guess you do a lot of work on weekends. I couldn't do it. I was managing a store this last winter/spring and when the calls started comming in I had to quit. I lost a couple because I was working and couldn't get to them quick enough.
So I hope to get about 40 or 50 accounts total this year, then I might start hiring help.
I'll tell you guys one thing for sure. This biz RULES over anything else I've ever done. Pays better too.

dc
Old 05-10-2005, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Me mow solo too! I'm about a month in. I have Eight accounts. One of which I picked up today while mowing another. I like that kind of drive by.
He'd been watching me do a couple of accounts in his neighborhood. He is meticulous with a well manicured lawn. He prefers to do it himself but simply doesn't have the time. It felt good to be trusted w/ someone's well treasured landscape. BUT like his, all my accounts are on an on-call bases. All but two and my mothers.(Don't charge your moms ya'll.) They generally call about every ten days but some of these accounts get long like a first cut every time making it hard to matain the way I would prefer. And not just for the moneys sake. But for the stand back and proudly take in a yard well done..kind of...sake.
Anyway.. I prefer the solo. I'm not yet making what I was at the gig I left to do this and I throw a paper route in the early A.M. to make some of the ends meet. But I'm free from all the Chiefs, the traders and the burnouts of whom I was soon to join, pulling only half their load.
I am in Nashville TN. There is a lot of LCO's here but there is a lot of work as well. I am learning everything the hard way Bidding, billing and discovering that you really do need that spare trailer tire that is in your garage 20 miles away.
Hope to do more than just survive in the next season or two. In the mean time I'm green growing and lovin it.
Bill w/Me Mow Professional Lawn Care Services
Old 05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Solo here. I started my business at the end of Aug 2004 and had lined up a total of three lawn accounts. I now have 10 and am awaiting confirmation on two others. It is not nearly as much as I want, and I am sure that more will follow. I am happy to say that even with a three day work load on lawns, that I do not have to answer to any boss like before, although I think of every homeowner now as my boss.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Me too

Solo, have about 10 to 12....just want 30 good ones....have done more landscaping than mowing...money is better....but harder work...it works well...some days mow...some days landscape...in the end its all yours....
Old 05-10-2005, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Solo here. My first year and I have 5 rez and 1 commercial. I am not even advertising in that everything is from referrals and drive by's. I really enjoy it and hope to leave my part-time job next year, pays the insurance.

Robcrow03
Good luck man. i use to live Bur-Vegas and will probably move back to Gibsonville this July.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Solo in my second full year. I currently have 49 accounts of which 2 are large properties worth about 4 or 5 each if broken down by time & price, which would be equal to around 57 accounts. I can still handle a few more (I say that until it rains for 3 days straight). Also still doing some cleanups, mulching, and garden installations after mowing and aerations on Saturdays.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Solo here. Started my part-time business (Wintergreen, LLC) last fall. Also have a 40hr full-time job...need the health insurance and benefits. I started off doing fall leaf cleanups and in the winter plowed for 15 clients (fortunately this was a great winter for me). This spring is my first and as of now I have 4 residential clients. I'm working like a dog sometimes 7am till sunset and in the winter if a storm hit I would plow all night long, then go to my full-time job, and then go back out to cleanup if needed (20hr days?). Hey, I'm young and I want things in life...gotta work hard to get them.