Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2005, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Solo here.. I am only 16 years old. My accounts jumped from 4 last year to 8 or 9 this year. The more work the better!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey every one. I'm new to lawn site but have been around in maintenance for the past 7 years. This year I am going all out and aggressively expanding. I have 20 res accounts that are within 5 miles of eachother. Minimizing drive time is key. Also I have one person that works with me and we will get all 20 finished in 1 day. About $800 grossed and 700 after paying my help. If i did it all by my self I would be out there almost 2 days and extremely exhausted. I would rather make 700 in 1 day then 800 in 2. This 100 sacrifice frees me up to do more on the expansion side as well as go to school full time. well worth it to me.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Solo here as well....... I have 21 accts and have been mowing since July '04. Flyers got me the first 10 or so, referrals since then.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm solo, lawn business is part-time, currently have ten residential accounts and one commericial account. If my lawn business goes well I will turn my full time job into a part time job and my part time job into my new full time job. Right now all my lawn(s) are under 5 inches of water ( tropical storm rain). That's how it goes living in Florida in the summer!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

any solo hardscapers out there?

i'm a solo hardscaper that has been in the game for over 20 years. i've had workers come and go [hard work scares 'em] and the most peaceful season was when i let them go. i get tired but don't have to deal with employees. i do use sub contracted haulling and tractor work. i'm very comfortable doing things this way but its not for everyone..............
mj
Old 06-10-2005, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgl41377
I pull with a 94 honda accord
youve got to be kidding me. instead of getting a 36, you shoulda got a cheap truck man. I know we all gotta start somewhere, but man, shoulda got a cheap truck and 2 21's and a weed whip and use that as an edger until you can afford a stick edger. atleast thats how my set up was for a month, then i just got a ton of business and second month got a trailer, stick edger, bp blower, new 21 and 48exmark.

but hey to each his own, I just cant even imagine what your clients think when you come up in an accord...

only thing about pulling it with an accord is that people see you and think you will be cheaper so they hire you. but thats only if the person is cheap, which 80% of the people nowdays are.

alright sorry for abandonding the thread... to answer the question, I try to always have one person with me, but if not, i deal with it. Sometimes like today when its hot I dont mind spending a few bucks to get done earlier, however if its like 75 or 80 ill most likely cut on my own... now if im doing a landscape job, ill have anywhere from 2-6 people on site.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgil
Hey every one. I'm new to lawn site but have been around in maintenance for the past 7 years. This year I am going all out and aggressively expanding. I have 20 res accounts that are within 5 miles of eachother. Minimizing drive time is key. Also I have one person that works with me and we will get all 20 finished in 1 day. About $800 grossed and 700 after paying my help. If i did it all by my self I would be out there almost 2 days and extremely exhausted. I would rather make 700 in 1 day then 800 in 2. This 100 sacrifice frees me up to do more on the expansion side as well as go to school full time. well worth it to me.

they way i see it is that the extra day you get off by hiring him off you can use to do more work.

for me, I never take a day off work, I always work, atleast thats how its been for the past 2 months.... if i do finish a job early, that means I can start the next early, or even just spend an extra day passing out flyers.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

First year

I'm solo. Worked in corporate world for 20 years, and had enough. I do this full time. Currently have 16 residential accounts, and a whole lotta mulching, power washing, etc. I tried the paper ads, but the best thing for me has been a flyer service. For $200 they hand deliver 5,000 flyers in a specified zip code. I am putting a pictoral portfolio together. The pictures are really helping seal the deal when price, and/or quality is an issue with the customer. I have never had as much fun working, as I have this year. I would be remiss if I didn't mention my beatiful wife who has supported me 110% in my venture, as well as having the F.T. job with health bennies. I guess marriage IS good for something. (j/k)

My current setup is as follows:
36" Great Dane hydro walk behind
Echo whip
Echo backpack
Sthil minnie tiller
Husqvarna hedge clippers
Echo Edger
98 Chevy 2500 PU
14' x 6' lanscape trailer
a whole lotta blood and sweat

Psycho Clipper
"He was always a quiet lawn boy."
Old 06-12-2005, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

New in business and web site

I currently have seven accounts and a fulltime job. My kids & I do lawns on a referal only basis within a two mile radius of the house. We cram everything in the back of a Dodge Caravan. It works out great. I do not plan on having more than 12 acounts.

Snapper 21" commercial
RedMax string trimmer
RedMax EB 6200
Shindaiwa Hedger
Two rakes
One broom
One trash can
Corona hand pruner
Corona loper
Old 06-12-2005, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I am solo and have 106 accounts, most of them areclose together, which i don't have to travel too much. I cut Tuesday thru Friday and get done around 6 every evening. Saturday and Monday's I do Mulch Or install uni-lock walls, or other odds and ends.

Kory Landscaping