Register free!

Old 04-12-2005, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need Some Experienced Help or Advice.

Need Some Experienced Help or Advice.

.... Don't know exactly how to put this question. We feel the need for some privacy around our property. A privacy fence would be out of the question. It would be too unnatural and unsightly and far too costly. It would make things feel more like the city than a small farming country area. My feeling is some sort of trees or hedge possibly or maybe even both. Trees on one side where we have the room and hedge on the other where there is less room. I would say at least 8 to 10 or more feet high and not too long in growing because of our ages.

.... Is there a good horticulturist out there that might offer some good ideas or suggestions ?

....Thanks in advance.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Forsythia would be perfect IMO...great privacy hedge with early spring color, grows extremely fast, and is not expensive.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How about a white pine tree fence, They grow about 1' a year. and are realativly inexpensive.

Chuck

Custom Masonry and Landscape Construction
Old 04-12-2005, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

experienced help/advice

I adore forsythia - the only downside is that it's quite rowdy (gets big fast) and requires regular pruning to keep it in check (unless you have the space for it). If you only require the cover during the summer time, mix and match: forsythias, lilacs, viburnums (many sorts) physocarpus (the red-leaved forms are SPECTACULAR), spirea (Bridal Wreath-the tall type), sassafrass (although it's a root spreader, it's beautiful), blueberries, some of the blackberries and rasperrries (again, rowdy spreaders, but nice for the fruit), burning bush (euonymous, if it's not on the noxious list for your state), hydrangeas (my faves are oak leaf and the paniculatas, but the colored ones should grow where you are), laurels and rhododendrons, I could go on and on...

Many forsythias and Bridal Wreath spirea want to become "fountains" and are extraordinary if allowed to achieve that form but you need lots of room.

If you need the cover during the winter also, intersperse conifers (there are some wonderful dwarfs available now - just be sure they are really what the tags say they are) with evergreen shrubs (laurels, rhodies, hollies, & pieris) Other small trees like mountain ash, dogwood, certain hollies, winterberry - all lovely choices with interest (flowers, mainly, some for seeds) at different times of the year.
Old 04-12-2005, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good answer Kate...I hadn't thought of intermingling. Yes, forsthyia can be a bear to keep in check.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Forsythia, white pines, grasses are all great ideas. You might also want to think about arbovites. You can always build a berm and I think using some white pines stagered along the berm accented with some grasses would look nice.

Jeff
Old 04-12-2005, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNJLandman
I think using some white pines stagered along the berm accented with some grasses would look nice.

Jeff
Another great idea... big ornamental grasses would help privacy-wise during the wintertime...and look nice too btw.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

OK OK OK, so what do you need privacy for?
"I would say at least 8 to 10 or more feet high and not too long in growing because of our ages. "

Sex outdoors is great! Got any pics of the, ahem, site? LOL
Now all you need is something to mask the noise

Privacy fences don't have to be big, if you're trying to block sight to a patio area, you could fence a ninty degree angle, use roses or something on the inside to soften it up. Ditto on the outside, vines etc. Provides year round wind, noise and sight blockage.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Ligustrum recurvifolia grows into an excellent evergreen hedge
Old 04-12-2005, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Myrica cerifera L.; M. carolinensis Mill.

Description.—The southern waxmyrtle is a shrub or slender tree up to 40 feet high. The leaves are from 1 to 4 inches long, narrow, wedge-shaped, entire or with a few teeth, and have a fragrant odor when crushed. The flowers appear from March to May, according to locality, generally before the leaves are fully expanded.

Male and female flowers are borne on separate trees, the male flowers in cylindrical yellow clusters and the female flowers in green somewhat shorter clusters.

The fruit, which remains on the tree for several years, consists of clusters of round, 1-seeded, somewhat berrylike nuts covered with a whitish wax. Northern bayberry is a shrub 8 feet high or less, with broader and blunter leaves.