Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-11-2005, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

rant

Have to rant for a minute. Have been working on getting this account for about 2 weeks now a phillips 66 right in the middle of 3 other accounts so if I pick it up it would be a 200.00 dollar stop. Well the so called manager that took my bid said I was the only one to turn a bid in just had to clear it with his boss. Well today we stop and start mowing the first of the accounts and what do I see the manager out on his MURRAY mowing He didnt edge, pick up trash, or blow any of the sidewalks off. Looked like #*!* Thats allright long about June when he is tired of it the price just doubled. Sorry but just had to rant a little.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hey man, I picked up 9 convenience stores and they ARE NOT commercial accounts. They are really tough to get because the so-called managers work for so-called district managers who work for so-called area managers. Most of these places don't care how they look and trash accumulates. I use gator blades!!! I took my mower in to get the blades sharpened after doing them and a trash bag was wrapped around my spindle. One of these has a truck stop and I pitched a hidden tennis ball over a semi trailer! There are exceptions though. There are 24 stores owned by a local oil company and they look fabulous. I'd say look at how a property looks and you can tell how to approach them. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

how can they not be commercial accounts???
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 04-12-2005, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinlee lawn
Have to rant for a minute. Have been working on getting this account for about 2 weeks now a phillips 66 right in the middle of 3 other accounts so if I pick it up it would be a 200.00 dollar stop. Well the so called manager that took my bid said I was the only one to turn a bid in just had to clear it with his boss. Well today we stop and start mowing the first of the accounts and what do I see the manager out on his MURRAY mowing He didnt edge, pick up trash, or blow any of the sidewalks off. Looked like #*!* Thats allright long about June when he is tired of it the price just doubled. Sorry but just had to rant a little.
Heck, if I got pissed every time something like that happended to me, Id of "blown a gasket" by now. Just a part of doing business
Old 04-12-2005, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrell
Hey man, I picked up 9 convenience stores and they ARE NOT commercial accounts. They are really tough to get because the so-called managers work for so-called district managers who work for so-called area managers. Most of these places don't care how they look and trash accumulates. I use gator blades!!! I took my mower in to get the blades sharpened after doing them and a trash bag was wrapped around my spindle. One of these has a truck stop and I pitched a hidden tennis ball over a semi trailer! There are exceptions though. There are 24 stores owned by a local oil company and they look fabulous. I'd say look at how a property looks and you can tell how to approach them. Good luck.

2 questions, maybe 3.

I too would like to know how they're not commercial accounts.

Also, what difference does it make that you use Gator Blades?? I guess if you're talking about the garbage being mulched up more, then maybe.

Why wouldn't you pick up the garbage in the first place?? If you've got a garbage bag wrapped around your spindle, then you're putting added stress on the spindle, along with more heat.

If you say you don't get paid to pick up the garbage, then there's really no sense in complaining about it either.