Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2005, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Husqvarna 4818ETS Review

Well some of you might remember I posted pics of my new Husqvarna floating deck walk back when I bought in FEb. I have used it now for a solid week and a half so I thought I would do a little review.

There are things I both love and dislike about the mower. So I guess Ill start with the things I love and go from there.

The quality of cut on this machine is like nothing I have ever used. It gives by FAR a better cut than any of my Exmarks do. Before you Exmark fans disagree with me, remember I am also an Exmark fan, and I am by no means bashing Exmark. But its true, I honestly have never cut with anything that cuts so nice, and my other Exmark wbs are still on the trailer. The machine throws grass clippings so fine I have yet to double cut anything in a week and a half. And some of the lawns, especially the ones I treat, were fairly high and wet. Im sure this has alot to do with moving up from a 15hp 48" combination to a 18hp 48" combination. But at any rate IMHO I would feel confident putting the Huskys cut quality up against any hydro WB on the market. It is honestly that good.

The ETS controls are great. They are basicly the same as the ECS controls on Exmarks. For me I feel my hands are in a more natural position on the Husky though. The controls took me a while to get used to, and they are a little touchy, but now that Im used to them I really like them.

The height adjustment is flat out awesome. It is so nice to have a true deck lift on a WB. You can literally pull the deck up into trailering position, while mowing, to go over objects in the lawn, without hitting them, and then drop the deck back down without ever stepping off the sulky.

Also I am very impressed with how well built the machine is. I cant speak for the long term reliability of the machine after only a week. But I dont forsee any problems. The machine is tight.

Now lets get to some dislikes.

There is not nearly enough anti scalp rollers on the machine. There are only two antiscalp rollers on each side of the deck. It also needs two in the center of the deck. I did not notice this when I bought it. This has created some scalping concerns. Now that Im used to it, I can make sure this dosent happen by tilting back on the machine in certain instances. But I feel with a true floating deck, I shouldnt have to do this. I have a friend who is a welder. I am planning on having him make me brakets for two rollers on the front of the deck. This should eliminate this problem. Although, I am not real happy I have the need to do that.

My only other problem with the machine is that the length does make it less versitile than my Exmarks. The length also makes it easy to pop a wheely while sulkying up hill. They actually sell wheel weights for the front of the machine. I am not having a big enough problem, that I feel I need them. But now I can see why they sell them as an accessory.

At any rate, I am very pleased with the mower so far. Right now Im just in like, not in love. If adding those rollers, ends my minor scalping concerns I think it will be a happy marriage.

Anyway for any one who is considering one. It is definately worth a demo. Especially at almost a $1000 less than Exmark and Hustler.
Old 04-12-2005, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For anyone who didnt see it before here is the mower.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2005, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

and here is a shot of the deck lift.
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2005, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Do you have any pics of before & after of cut lawns?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALarsh
Do you have any pics of before & after of cut lawns?
No I havent taken any yet. But I do plan on taking some soon. Ill be sure to post them.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

damn you beat me to it. I have the exact same mower and was going to post the same stuff. I got mine for 5224.36 with proslide. It is a very good investment and hope to get another one soon

masonry and landscape services for the lower hudson valley
Old 04-14-2005, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFD92
damn you beat me to it. I have the exact same mower and was going to post the same stuff. I got mine for 5224.36 with proslide. It is a very good investment and hope to get another one soon
I lucked out. I got mine for $4527, with no proslide though. I am using a bullrider sulky. Im glad to here you like, and are having good luck with yours also.

Are you having the same scalping issues I am?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Banned

If you haven't already, make sure you pass that info on to Husky, the good and the bad.

We should all let manufacturers know what they're doing right, and what needs improvement.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawn Dog2001
I lucked out. I got mine for $4527, with no proslide though. I am using a bullrider sulky. Im glad to here you like, and are having good luck with yours also.

Are you having the same scalping issues I am?
I am very pleased with the mower and am having a very good cut with it. I did have the scalping issues which I thought i wouldnt run into with the floating deck but I will address probably the same way you are.

masonry and landscape services for the lower hudson valley