Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-12-2005, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Mulching

New to the mulching aspect and was wondering if you guys usually bid at 2 or 3 inches and a good reasonable price per yard, thanks for all the help!!
Old 04-13-2005, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually find that 3" is good if the people will pay. 2" is the minimum. Cheapest Ive found on the dark hardwood in Chicago is $26/yd delivered. Pricing varies for the actual installation depending on several factors
Old 04-15-2005, 11:20 PM

2.5 inches for me. unless there is a lot left over from last year then 2 inches. what happens usually is that in the fall when i am blowing leaves out of beds, a lot of the mulch gets blown out as well so come spring time the ground can be pretty bare.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

what if there is alot left over from last year? remove it all and go new etc. or......?? Id like some tips also!
Old 04-16-2005, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

No...leave it and cover it up...it all decomposes anyways. Cover whatever is there..even leaves if you want. just be sure nothing is showing except for the mulch. Go at least 2 inches thick and make it look nice. I usually try and remove most leaves just to make it easier but like I said..it all decomposes.

"Just cause you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect" -King of the Hill
Old 04-16-2005, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the tip. heres the deal..I have a job Im starting tomorrow,all these little beds of mulch the landowner has around dont look all that bad as far as mulch,I thought maby I'll clean it up of leaves etc. and top it off make it look nice. But wasnt sure if that was the way to go.So I think I'll do that..and not over do it! like you say 2.5" I'll check it out when I get there..but its a good way to start.I never got into mulch until this year,just always kept to what I know(mowing,trimming,prunning etc.) but hopefully will figure out the rights and wrongs of mulching,The plus to this job is it is already done..Im just topping it off so its kinda hard to screw up
Old 04-16-2005, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Always tell the cutomer how much mulch you plan to add. Last year we did a job where I wrote "top dress all existing mulch beds" on the propoal sheet. I planned on two inches. As were just starting spreading, the guy comes out bitching that its not high/thick enough. He and I started arguing, but eventually, he agreed that it would cost him extra $$ if he wanted it deeper.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

alway ask them if they wont the bushes trimmed is easer to clean up just cover with mulch
Old 04-17-2005, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I never specify a depth on the contract. I've seen customers go out with rulers and take a measurement. I just spread it around with a rake until it looks right, I know it's usually 2-3 inches, but I don't measure it.