Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-2005, 07:20 PM
menchhofer menchhofer is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 33
Dixie Chopper Fluid

I have a Dixie Flatlander...an older model and have been told by the dealer it takes a special hydraulic fluid at 28.00 per gallon. Has anyone else experienced this situation? Should I just bite the bullet and use the "special" fluid or could I simply use a good brand of hydraulic fluid....any help would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-12-2005, 09:39 PM
Grass Man's Avatar
Grass Man Grass Man is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bunker Hill, WV
Posts: 272
Lightbulb

.... Call one of the major oil companies on there 800 number and talk to there product (tech support) div. Tell them what you have (type, year of mower etc.) and what you are suppose to use (type of fluid). Or, just tell them the name and type of fluid they may have a substitute. They should have a compatible product for your machine. And sometimes at a far better price and even better quality .

.... Good luck.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by menchhofer
I have a Dixie Flatlander...an older model and have been told by the dealer it takes a special hydraulic fluid at 28.00 per gallon. Has anyone else experienced this situation? Should I just bite the bullet and use the "special" fluid or could I simply use a good brand of hydraulic fluid....any help would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2005, 06:59 AM
HOMER HOMER is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Posts: 3,183
It's probably the VTC oil. That was put in on some of the newer models. An old one just takes 20-50 if I recall.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2005, 07:29 AM
ProMo's Avatar
ProMo ProMo is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Casselberry Florida
Posts: 1,469
I use mobil 1 in my 96 flatlander and have only changed it 2x
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2005, 07:59 AM
burnandreturn's Avatar
burnandreturn burnandreturn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 312
You can use Mobil 1 synthetic, 15w 50. I use Synergyn Super Torque in mine and increased my fuel efficiency dramatically.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,529
Dixie Chopper's flavor of the month is Lucas 15/40 HIGH TBN LONG DRAIN TRUCK OIL. The oil before that was their custom blended VTC and before that it was Schaffers. Every time Art Evans makes a good deal with a oil maker that particular oil becomes the greatest thing since sliced bread until somebody else makes him a good deal on oil.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2005, 06:00 PM
menchhofer menchhofer is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
Dixie Chopper's flavor of the month is Lucas 15/40 HIGH TBN LONG DRAIN TRUCK OIL. The oil before that was their custom blended VTC and before that it was Schaffers. Every time Art Evans makes a good deal with a oil maker that particular oil becomes the greatest thing since sliced bread until somebody else makes him a good deal on oil.

So, I assume a good quality hydraulic fluid will suffice instead of the "flavor of the month"?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2005, 06:03 PM
menchhofer menchhofer is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 33
Smile

I believe I will try the Mobil 1 Synthetic. I do not believe it would hurt anything. Just wanted to be sure if there was anything I was possibly missing here.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by menchhofer
So, I assume a good quality hydraulic fluid will suffice instead of the "flavor of the month"?
I would use a motor oil rather then hydro fluid. I've never looked into the viscosities of hydro fluid but you do want something that is kinda thin (10w/15w) on start up.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:55 PM.

Page generated in 0.10127 seconds with 9 queries