Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-13-2005, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hello members

hello members.....

I would like to say this is my first post on this forum, and i would like to introduce myself on both a personal and buisness level.....

I'm 17 and have been pondering on getting an LCO started for a few years now. now that i'm licensed to drive, my dream of actually getting started is becoming more of an reality than an dream. I currently have just a few accounts that i mow, but am wanting to increase that in a great deal in the next few months b4 i get outta school. so i will be in full swing for the season.

I'm currently operating with the following equipment, two torro 21 mowers, and an stihl blower, and an stihl weedeater. Im hoping to get an edger very soon. I have an 2003 chevy w/t (work truck model) and use a 12X6 trailer. This is also my equipment, my dad owns an 61 bobcat ztr, that Im hoping to purchase from him so I will be able to run & use it. I believe in purchasing all of my equipment, and rely only on myself with the cash flow of the business to purchase all of my equipment.

Im either debating whether I should buy an 36-48 w/b mower or purchase my dads ztr mower. I have about $4k saved up so I think the w/b is more in reach. My dad said I could use his ztr any time I need to, but must give him some what of a percent of what I make most likely it would be about an 20% rate. Which I figure is cheaper than an leasing a mower.

This was just written to give you some insight on a new member that the forum has received. Im looking to hear from some people on how it was like to first get your feet wet in the business, what you ran across ect. how you got to be where you are today.

Thanks,
carlton
Old 04-13-2005, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Good to hear that you are making progress. Have you advertised any this year? Once you get a good customer base you will get many lawns from referals. Best of luck to you and keep us informed
EHO
Old 04-13-2005, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Advertise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eho
Good to hear that you are making progress. Have you advertised any this year? Once you get a good customer base you will get many lawns from referals. Best of luck to you and keep us informed
EHO
I've advertised a little bit already this year. i have an website (under construction) and i do door hangers & flyers, i've already canvassed 2 neighborhoods, picking up about 15 yards so far due to that. I'm also thinking of advertising in our county's paper. i live in a small county, and word of mouth gets around quick, so as soon as i establish a good customer base i hope i will be getting referals left & right.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

if most of ur lawns are 4,000 sq feet or larger get a 48" w/b.

if u use the 60" ztr, u can really limit urself on the size lawns that u can mow because u will have a 21" and a 60" mower with nothing in between.

but if most of ur lawns are a few acres, go with the 60"
Old 04-14-2005, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

money?

where is most of the money, on large lawns or small lawns?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

you can make more profit on smaller lawns. I would much rather have 20 "small" lawns in and around each other than 5 "larger" lawns that bring in the same amount of money. If you lose 3 accounts..which situation would you rather be in?

"Just cause you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect" -King of the Hill
Old 04-14-2005, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

are you going to get insurance

# 8
Old 04-14-2005, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEW
you can make more profit on smaller lawns. I would much rather have 20 "small" lawns in and around each other than 5 "larger" lawns that bring in the same amount of money. If you lose 3 accounts..which situation would you rather be in?

Heard that!
Old 04-14-2005, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnandplow42
are you going to get insurance

insurance is a must, can't take too many chances these days. i've done my homework and have already checked around.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

A+
well, i'd do this.. i'd find a good deal on a walkbehind with some of the 4k (look into the quick36), put the rest away into savings. borrow dads ztr when you need it, save as much money as you can. mabee buy the ZTR from him later when you get the money. i definetly rather smaller lawns, because you can charge a minimum price and knock the small lawns out real quick like.. i've started out mainly cutting a bunch of smaller lawns, because all i have is a 36'' and 21".. it seems to be working out so far. when i get bigger equipment i'll try to tackle bigger yards. atleast you have access to a ZTR. as far as getting customers is concerned, i tried flyers.. i put them out from time to time still. i picked up a few customers that way. but i get more new customers while i'm out and about working, and refferals from existing customers.. just do good work, and people will recognize, and want you to be working on their lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+ Lawncare
hello members.....

I would like to say this is my first post on this forum, and i would like to introduce myself on both a personal and buisness level.....

I'm 17 and have been pondering on getting an LCO started for a few years now. now that i'm licensed to drive, my dream of actually getting started is becoming more of an reality than an dream. I currently have just a few accounts that i mow, but am wanting to increase that in a great deal in the next few months b4 i get outta school. so i will be in full swing for the season.

I'm currently operating with the following equipment, two torro 21 mowers, and an stihl blower, and an stihl weedeater. Im hoping to get an edger very soon. I have an 2003 chevy w/t (work truck model) and use a 12X6 trailer. This is also my equipment, my dad owns an 61 bobcat ztr, that Im hoping to purchase from him so I will be able to run & use it. I believe in purchasing all of my equipment, and rely only on myself with the cash flow of the business to purchase all of my equipment.

Im either debating whether I should buy an 36-48 w/b mower or purchase my dads ztr mower. I have about $4k saved up so I think the w/b is more in reach. My dad said I could use his ztr any time I need to, but must give him some what of a percent of what I make most likely it would be about an 20% rate. Which I figure is cheaper than an leasing a mower.

This was just written to give you some insight on a new member that the forum has received. Im looking to hear from some people on how it was like to first get your feet wet in the business, what you ran across ect. how you got to be where you are today.

Thanks,
carlton