View Poll Results: Pay to Dump?
I pay a fee every time. 46 63.89%
I pay per year. 3 4.17%
I don't have to pay. 23 31.94%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2005, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dump Site Fees

We have a compost site in town and it has become less and less convenient to use over the years. It used to be open all the time but people abused it and dumped rock and tv's and all kinds of non-yard junk there so they put hour restrictions on with an old retired dude to watch what is dumped. Its open at some time every day except Friday but the hours are not very friendly to me.
The city also picks up debris from curbside which uses crews with a vacuum truck. I always thought that the contractors are sort of helping the city out by reducing the amount of work the big rigs have to do by bringing debris to the site.
Yesterday I get a half sheet of paper stating that as of May 15, 2005 all contractors have to purchase a sticker in order to dump. The sticker cost 100 bucks for the first vehicle and 25 for every other vehicle. Homeowners are still allowed to dump for free.
Now I am not against paying a fee to dump but it seems like we are being targeted for some unknown reason. As a matter of fact I would pay 200 a year if I could have a key to the gate and be able to dump when I need to.
I know the hundred bucks ain't beans compared to the total operation but you have to know what kind of B.S. goes on in some of these meetings sometimes.
This ordinance was just passed without anyone knowing it was coming and no comment time was allowed unless you had been at the meeting.
I have an alternate place to dump that I secured with a gentleman this year so I really don't have to use the dump anymore but I will probably end up buying a sticker next season just in case.

What do you folks pay for dump fees, is it a per load or a yearly pass or something else? Everyone got their hand in my pocket recently, the nice thing is that my rates have gone up significantly and no one is complaining.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:47 AM
Senior Moderator

A guy approached us over a couple years ago and told us he would like to have our grass clippings. We were thrilled to hear this. This "dump", actually one huge huge compost pile is only minutes from our service route. This makes it so easy for us. We pay absolutely nothing.
We are always on the lookout though for other dump sites, meaning other homeowners that want grass clippings incase we lose our current site.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm caught in the middle,If I work in certain counties then Dumping is free otherwise I pay...
Old 04-14-2005, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't pay for grass clippings to be dumped, the city composts it and sells it back to the community, this service is only for commercial services though. I do have to pay for any sticks and dirt that I need to dump.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We pay by the pound. $33 per ton for yard waste.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

free. except, it's only open, after dark. and don't get caught
Old 04-14-2005, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

how do they still allow that? around here dumps do not accept clippings any more do to excessive pesticide residues by uneducated homeowners.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we have a dump in town where you pay 55 for the entire year and you can dump unlimited amounts, BUT there only open thurs through sun, and they don't allow commercial trucks or dump inserts or even boards on the sides so you can carry more. but if all you have is a pickup ur fine but othereise you have to travel half an hr 2 dump where they charge around 60-100 each time for landscape type dump trucks etc...
Old 04-14-2005, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

that sucks having to pay to dump. good thing i bag everything and leave in an a nice alittle garbage bag at the curb... here's a pic from today notice the bag in the pic. (it ruined my picture, so i can't use it, so this thread can have it.)
Old 04-14-2005, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If thats compost,Michigan would drive right by it.It has to be in compost paper bags...