Register free!

Old 04-14-2005, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Renovation

Did some expert opinions on this.

Did a lawn renovation (tall fescue) last September. Killed the back yard with Round-up. Waited 4 weeks, aerated, used an overseeded, fertilized, limed the back. Grass came in great even needed mowing a couple of times before the end of the year. Put down one more application of fertilizer 6 weeks after the first. Followed up this spring with Lesco Pre-m. Went back to mow and the grass is not growing. Best I can describe are little sprigs of grass, about 3/4 of an inch high. The grass is growing like crazy here and the temperatures have been high, so I can rule that out.

What can be causing this? Compacted soil?

I am planning on taking a soil sample and going from there. Don't want to have to redo the whole lawn, but it is looking that way. Any ideas on how I can fix this and any ideas on how best to present this to the customer and not have to eat the cost to get it looking good again. Good repeat customer, mowing, fertilizer, mulch and don't want to lose them.

Thanks in advance,
Todd
Old 04-15-2005, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You may have over done it with the lime,fertilizer,and pre-m.If you did all this and did not bother with a soil sample 1st then how did you know what you needed?Sounds to me like you fertilized in mid winter and might have had a flush of growth then lost the blades and roots to freezing weather.Close as I can come to a guess.My advice?Do a soil sample then start all over.
I mean look at all that stuff-Round-up,lime,chemical fert,pre-m,that poor soil is confused and all messed up,But this is my opinion only,I'm sure somebody else will tell you that putting all that stuff in the soil and not tilling in any organic matter or replacing any real food for the grass.is OK..I don't see it that way.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Seeding

If the grass was thick I do not see how weeds would invade it. The Pre-Em spoiled everything. You may have to take soil samples and redo it.
Old 04-17-2005, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, 1st never lime and seed on the same visit [ lime may burn the seed, slow its germination, produce top growth with little root development] , 2nd the application of pre-m me thinks did you in?..."Rome wasnt built in a day"...next time focus on building a healthy lawn 1st, weeds 2nd...........Now, get that soil test [ it shoulda been done before anything]...all those chemicals was like "Nukein the soil"- Chemical fertilizers are notourious for knockin down the microbs in soil, dead / diein soils often get neutrient locks [ the soil test will help to identify this]....Gypsum [ calcium /' sulfur] will help to neutralize the chemical toxins [ enable the grass to pick up neutrients present in the soil], apply liqued fish emulsion [ as a soil/ seed innocculant], slow release fertilizer, use a back pk sprayer [ 4oz per gal of H2O ], personnally I'd reslice the lawn w/ seed at 1-2 lbs per 1000sqft. use a triplex perennial rye[ its cheap and will give you fast results, hopefully your dwarf type tall fescues will start to come around.Make sure good irragation is avalible........"Thats what I would do" [ I'd eat this 1, due to lack of experance] "Good Luck"
Old 04-18-2005, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for all the good advice. i will start over and take it from there.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Lime and fert together is never good. They can actualy work against each other. The Pre-em is what got you.

Take this one as a lesson and eat it. Make the customer happy.