Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2008, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

JD Boy,

I recommend that you not spend the large fee's on a franchise and instead use some of that money to market yourself heavily in your County or metro area. If all of your trucks and trailers are branded the same way, vehicle wraps/graphics and begin your marketing campaign for your target customers. You build your brand where you need it. Begin to get written testimonials from satisfied customers. Make it a habit to ask for these and send a thank you card.

People are drawn to the big name brands because they think there is little risk in using them. You can also develop that same reputation. Most people want to go with a winner. If your trucks and trailers look good and are in good shape they feel you must be doing a good job or you wouldnt have that stuff and they go with you.

I actually own a franchise that does marketing,printing and promo.
I started my lawn business a few years before that to see what it was like to work for myself. Needless to say I now work for myself full time.
I'll gladly give you some suggestions on how to do effective targeted marketing.

Good luck.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

I would go the franchise route. I would have bought a Scotts franchise if my area had not been already taken. Building a business on your own is a major pain in the butt.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

J D Boy

While there may be a whole list of reasons to go the franchise route the bottom line is try to resist the temptation. You have been in business for seven years. That in itself is a milestone as most new companies fail within the first 5 years. Your established and you appear to know how to run a business. Do you really want a partner? Do you really need somebody telling you what to do? Is getting into lawn treatments really all that scary? You already market your existing business . You have been successful . Don't pay somebody for knowledge you can readily acquire. Do your own due diligence and training. You already have on this forum. Trust your own ability. Use your own ideas. You will get more satisfaction in creating your own empire than having somebody planing your next move. You went into business to be your own boss and to lead your company. Put your name on any new venture. Success or failure all depends on you anyway. Confidence can go a long way.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlg View Post
J D Boy

While there may be a whole list of reasons to go the franchise route the bottom line is try to resist the temptation. You have been in business for seven years. That in itself is a milestone as most new companies fail within the first 5 years. Your established and you appear to know how to run a business. Do you really want a partner? Do you really need somebody telling you what to do? Is getting into lawn treatments really all that scary? You already market your existing business . You have been successful . Don't pay somebody for knowledge you can readily acquire. Do your own due diligence and training. You already have on this forum. Trust your own ability. Use your own ideas. You will get more satisfaction in creating your own empire than having somebody planing your next move. You went into business to be your own boss and to lead your company. Put your name on any new venture. Success or failure all depends on you anyway. Confidence can go a long way.
As with many things, it depends on which side you view this from. These are the exact arguments for buying a franchise - most people don't know how to run a business, it takes a lot of time and work to acquire the knowledge you need, you don't have all the ideas you need, and confidence is the result of preparation and training. Franchises aren't for everyone but the average person who buys a franchise is buying an established business model - a lot of the prep work has been done and the franchisee can set about the real work. Think of it as a ready to assemble kit - sure, you could cut all the pieces out yourself but it's a lot easier if someone else does that crap work and you just concentrate on putting it all together. The most important benefit to a franchise is that if you follow the system, you'll substantially increase your odds for success.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

am I wrong? It looks like this topic was started in 2004... I would hope that he has made a choice by noW!
Old 03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclawndr View Post
As with many things, it depends on which side you view this from. These are the exact arguments for buying a franchise - most people don't know how to run a business, it takes a lot of time and work to acquire the knowledge you need, you don't have all the ideas you need, and confidence is the result of preparation and training. Franchises aren't for everyone but the average person who buys a franchise is buying an established business model - a lot of the prep work has been done and the franchisee can set about the real work. Think of it as a ready to assemble kit - sure, you could cut all the pieces out yourself but it's a lot easier if someone else does that crap work and you just concentrate on putting it all together. The most important benefit to a franchise is that if you follow the system, you'll substantially increase your odds for success.
My point was that this guy has been in business for seven years. It appears he " does know how to run a business " and is still in business when many fail very early on. The time and work to acquire the knowledge is available without paying big dollars for a franchise. Ideas can also be acquired for free if you do you own " crap work". I'm not saying a franchise is bad. I'm saying that there are alternatives to shelling out big bucks for a "business model'. A local landscape company in our area recently added lawn fertilizing to his business. He hired the right experienced people. He did his homework. He's been going for three years now. Was it easy? No. Has he had success? Looks like it so far. His success is dependent on him as is the same on any franchisee. When a franchise fails was it the operator or the franchise that caused the demise? I'm sure there are many successful franchises. There are also a whole lot of companies that were started by just blood, sweat and tears that have success. As an business owner you weigh all your options. If a franchise fits your needs then do it. If you can create your own brand it can be done. A franchise started out as somebody's business idea. Whose to say it can't be yours.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah.. I WAS wrong.. it was started in 2005...

I seriously doubt JDboy is even reading this any more.. so you guys are just arguing for the sake of something to do?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayholio View Post
Yeah.. I WAS wrong.. it was started in 2005...

I seriously doubt JDboy is even reading this any more.. so you guys are just arguing for the sake of something to do?
Guess I should look at the thread dates but who knew someone would resurrect a thread from the stone age?
Old 11-10-2013, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I built my business from the ground up. This this year i picked up 55 new accounts. HOW. Web site SEO. I'm on first page of Google (the phone rings every day) had to turn away customers. When the Grounds Guys called me and wanted to offer me a franchise I told them if they wanted to put their name on my truck they would have to PAY ME.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a friend who had a US Lawns franshise. He said all they did was send money to Orlando and they did very little to get them new business. He sold out to someone else and come up with his own name and moved own.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.