Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-18-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptsketch View Post
I bet you pull the top 20 percent of franchise and the top 20 percent of Mon franchise lawn care businesses ,the non franchises will win hands down , period .......
If you are not giving them ten plus percent , then that goes to you.
Hire some green industry consultants .Many of then can help you format a lawn care franchise but don't give It to
Some franchise that has measured every word carefully to solve all the aches and pains of running your own business and inevitably is there to make money of of you ,not just once but for a lifetime ....
Posted via Mobile Device
Either way if your a top twenty company on either side of the fence, your a multi -million dollar company so who cares! How long did it take the non franchised company to get to the multi million level VS the franchised company? Ask a McDonald's franchisee if he could have done the same thing on his own in the same amount of time? NOT!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

cpllawncare ,
I can see why you think that but if you look at the lawn and landscape top 100 list less then ten percent of the companies are franchises and thats with there total revenue combined from many locations , combined they add up enough to make the list, by themselves very few would make the list if any.
Franchises make you think they have all the answers they prey on the fact that you need help, They know exactly what to say at the exact moment. Its called the "halo effect" its easy to be blinded cause we all want a silver bullet to solve our needs, there simply isnt one!!!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd boy View Post
it seems like that story is contrary to what I thought the basic premise of a franchise was. It seemed to me that the franchise succeeds when you as the franchiser succeed. That is, after all, why they charge a royalty to collect that long term money from your success.
That story sounds like they were after the quick buck.
As a rule of thumb, nn terms of "success vs. failure" there are safeguards in place when you're under the protective umbrella of a franchise, as opposed to more risk of going it alone.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I bet you pull the top 20 percent of franchise and the top 20 percent of Mon franchise lawn care businesses ,the non franchises will win hands down , period .......
If you are not giving them ten plus percent , then that goes to you.
Hire some green industry consultants .Many of then can help you format a lawn care franchise but don't give It to
Some franchise that has measured every word carefully to solve all the aches and pains of running your own business and inevitably is there to make money of of you ,not just once but for a lifetime ....
Posted via Mobile Device

wasn't what I was comparing, but i'll say it the not so nice way.. I was saying that I bet some people who are bashing franchises have a 1994 dodge two mowers and net worth of 50k. not that there is anything wrong with that, some people like to be a solo op is fine. IMO unless your pulling down 2+ mil I don't think you can bash franchises because you don't know the systems involved to grow to that level. where possibly a good franchise could give you all the right tools to do it quicker. im sure there are some crappy franchises out there, but to lump them all together is wrong.... I would *assume* if you could tap into some of valleycrests knowledge thru buying a us lawn franchise that would be a home run but idk anything about it..

on a side note I am looking for another business to diversify into, looked into franchises. out of the 100's (most are crap and im amazed they get people to buy in) I've looked at I only considered one and my area was already taken..
Old 12-20-2013, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
cpllawncare ,
I can see why you think that but if you look at the lawn and landscape top 100 list less then ten percent of the companies are franchises and thats with there total revenue combined from many locations , combined they add up enough to make the list, by themselves very few would make the list if any.
Franchises make you think they have all the answers they prey on the fact that you need help, They know exactly what to say at the exact moment. Its called the "halo effect" its easy to be blinded cause we all want a silver bullet to solve our needs, there simply isnt one!!!!!
One thing is you can't compare franchises to non franchises, there aren't enough landscape franchisee's as a whole as compared to solo guys or small time operations, most guys either aren't financially able to buy into a landscape franchise or aren't business savvy enough to properly evaluate weather a franchise is or isn't the right move for them. I mean if I went by what was on here about franchising I wouldn't buy one either, so far I've read so much false information it's scary. I was smart enough to do my own due diligence and not believe what I read in the net. Each person has to make his own choice, it's not for everyone, but neither is being a business owner.