Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2005, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the gesture would definitely be worth it.

Sure you are giving up a free mowing, but look at it as an investment. You are simply investing $30 in increasing your chances that they will come to you when times improve and ALSO that they will refer you to their friends. I would invest the $30 dollars every time.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MajorTom
No we would not give a free mowing. But if we liked them a lot, then we would send a simple thank you card thanking them for their business, and ask them to keep us in mind if they ever needed service again.
I see a lot of people say they give away free mowings for this or for that... we give nothing away for free. I'm sure that sounds harsh to some, but "free" doesn't pay our bills.
i agree i would just send a card if word gets around that you give free mowings with a cancellation you might get alot of cancellations.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What if this new business is a lawn business? Then what would you do
Old 04-25-2005, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I would give them a free mowing and a Thank you card, good customer's are hard to find.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

some of you guys are hard hearted

i would give them a free mowing. what would you lose? a little time and a little gas. what would you gain? respect for yourself, respect from others. also, in my short life (56 years) i've noticed good deeds are often repaid many times over.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot
i would give them a free mowing. what would you lose? a little time and a little gas. what would you gain? respect for yourself, respect from others. also, in my short life (56 years) i've noticed good deeds are often repaid many times over.
That's the problem with lawn care, the customer thinks that all it costs us is a little time, and a little gas.
Name a product or service that gives you a freebee for cancelling.

Why should we cheapen our service by giving it away to someone who's cancelled? if you must give it away, give it to someone who pays promptly, and/or gets you more lawns.
Crawdad
Old 04-25-2005, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What I would do...

I would make myself available to answer any questions he might have and to help him along with the new business however I could. Maybe he might want a recommendation on an accountant or an attorney or maybe some of the software you use to run your business would be helpful in running his. Whatever you think might help.

If his business does well, you might get the $30 lawn and a nice commercial account out of it. Even if you don't, I think helping him out would be the best way to show your appreciation.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I am new here and would like to throw my 2 cents in as well! I think it is a very nice jester. However like every a few said free does not pay the bills.

I think what you have to look at, is in the end; will it come back to you (the free cut). Will the customer return? I know from working in one of the hottest real estate markets in the entire country; where the average home cost starts in the $300,000 range. There are many types of people out there that return favors all the time. That list will include Mortgage lenders, Loan processors, Real estate agents, Real estate Appraisers, Builders, Contractors, etc, etc. Mind you that if this client is in one of these fields, and pursuing branching out on his own then not only would a free cut be a great gift to them but would come back to bless you in many more ways. I have been treated to so many lunches, dinners, night's out on open tabs, Free Real Estate Appraisals when refinancing. No closing cost from loan processors, and lenders. I have been blessed, and have to say that if it makes you feel good to give the gift of a free cut then do it. I think it will come back to you 10 fold. As long as this client paid on time in the 3 years you had them. Did not complain all the time to you and just be a real pain in the Kisser.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

he will come back to u when he gets more money
so do it
Old 04-26-2005, 07:56 AM

No I wouldn't give them a free cut. If they were such good customers they would give up eating before they gave up you I am sure they are not cutting back on other areas they consider important--cable tv, trash pickup, eating out, vacations etc. The lawncare guy always gets the shaft