Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-05-2015, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Just Saying Thanks

Just wanted to say thank you to those who post about the issues you face daily and the solutions that you've come up with. I started a lawn service with the intention of teaching my sons the value of a dollar. Starting with only two yards, it has now turned into something a little bigger. And along with more business , more problems and issues have arrived.

Most of the problems are customer related, mostly silly things that I wouldnt have thought possible. The customer that calls you, leaves a message and won't answer the phone when you call back. The yard that has been cut by the owner the day before your scheduled to arrive. The customer that thinks you can show up on command. Cut my yard shorter. The grass is overgrown but they expect to pay the reg price. Basically the inconsideration that people have for the service industry.

Those are only a few. It's good to read that others are having similar issues and how some people handle it. Mostly it keeps me sane and helps me to smile knowing I'm not the only one.

The marketing ideas of what's worked and what doesn't has helped me gain new customers. I'm still working on it, so keep posting.

At first I thought " it's just grass, how hard can it be? " If iv'e insulted you with that comment, then let me say that I was wrong and I have been enlightened. The paper work, scheduling, equipment cost, license, and dealing with different personalities are time consuming and sometimes a challenge. Customers want a good lawn service, I want good a customers.

Enough rambling, Thanks for the support. Whether you know it or not, your post have indirectly helped.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Curtis- in a lot of ways I thought the same. I started out doing a few lawns after work, with the same thought "it's just grass, how hard could it be?" Boy was I wrong once I had more customers!

My wife and I had a talk over last weekend. I was venting about customers complaining and she was shocked people seemed to care so deeply about their lawns. Cutting higher/shorter, qutting after the first cut because we didn't weed their gardens for free, etc.

This site has been great and certainly taught me more as I continue to grow.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
This site has been great and certainly taught me more as I continue to grow.
No doubt. So thank you to those that share ideas, thoughts, advice and knowledge and to those asking the all important questions.

Dee & Johnny

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."
-Arthur Ashe