Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-15-2005, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a few women I see doing landscaping around here, mostly mowing. One landscape company has a couple crews of women Ive seen and they get rite with it. I think it take quite a determined and tough woman to take on the heat, dirty conditions and physically demanding work. I often thought a female crew would be good for us as far as attention to detail and trust worthyness so I tried a few last season for my mowing crews, but had little luck. Two of them lasted 1/2 day and the other one lasted 3 days. I mostly have 21 year aged guys and we bust butt mowing subdivisions and such. Its very hard work, but we landscape as well. I would still keep trying females for the reasons I mentioned, maybe I jusy havent found the rite ones yet. If your ever my way, give me a ring
Old 04-15-2005, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The young lady that works for me answers the phone.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't have problem with it. Any one who meets my strict standards of hiring(non-smoking and shows up daily) would be considered. If you can do the job, I don't care who you are, were your from, what you do, or who you do. Work is work, acomplish it and I'll be happy.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

my lead landscape designer/project mgr is a female. and for my exterior remodeling company, my absolute best siding installer is a woman.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am a female Landscaper and have run my own biz for 12 years now,started out doing maintenance,weedeating,mowing,cleaning,blowing,Planting ,anything they wanted me to do.did that for first few years then broke into Landscaping.I have never had a problem getting jobs,or keeping them because I am a woman.People are willing to give you a chance,you just gotta prove yourself worthy and reliable.I always have felt that if they are gonna put their money on me,I'm not going to let them down and ruin things for the next woman who comes along.Nice to meet you. Sheshovel
Old 04-16-2005, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't see any reason not to hire a woman. Welcome to the site If they can do the job why not hire them? As already noted, women tend to be more meticulous about the details.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Lifesaverbuddy, I would hire a woman in a minute. I hate to say it but woman are generally friendlier than men (and I like the girly voice)LOL. We have a lady here who does nothing but landscaping, no mowing, and her work is great and she is expensive too! Good luck to you. BTW, you may find your clients wife not so friendly expecially if thier hubby watches you out the window the whole time. I would recommend wearing comfortable clothing(not daisy dukes, I cant believe Im saying this) and just do good work and your reputation should carry you. Good luck!
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 04-16-2005, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to Lawnsite! If you haven't discovered this yet, there is a wealth of information here. If you spend alot of time reading posts here and learning, you WILL succeed. That being said...

I don't think being a woman should hold you back at all. It could be a very important charachteristic to set you apart from the competition. I think people will generally trust a woman easier than they will trust a man. People have trusted me for the past couple years since I am a "kid" (I'm 19 now), but as I get older more and more people think I am trying to swindle them or something. Were I a female, I don't think this would be as much of a problem.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-16-2005, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lisa, Welcome to Lawnsite.
As far as women go, I am the only man in the house with 3 daughters and my wife. I work with her in the field and she also takes care of all the books. I have had my daughters help us with mulch jobs. Ages are 15, 14 and 9 at their request.
Women in general ( no stereotypes) are very detail oriented and my wife is a self proclaimed perfectionist. That is a good balance for me. Give yourself a pat on the back and gain some confidence, you can do whatever you want and make good money also. Many of the landscape companies have women as designers but also installers. Time is wasting, get your advertising out there as there will be a major push for work starting yesterday. Once your foot is in the door, word of mouth will take over and you will do fine. Good Luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We hire a few for both maintenance and construction .... have this new kid on a construction crew (around 22) . She is an absolute joy to have around ... full of enthusiasm and working really hard. She jumped in the bobcat and did OK with very little instruction(had some experience on a paving crew before).
Her last words to me before she left the shop last night were .... "Thank-you Kris, I just love this job!" Who could ask for more.