Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2005, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

A company I used to work for had 3 women running with them, 2 mowed and 1 did just landscaping. They worked well with the guys and yes customers loved them. I had the pleasure of working with the landscaping crew and a lot of the time it was just her and I and she never stopped! she was like the Energizer Bunny kept going and going. The comment in another post about clothing is true, the girl I worked with was very, well lets say she was very top heavy, and one day she tied her shirt in the front and when reaching for a shovel well "they" fell out. I didn't mind,LOL but the lady watching us (customer) thought it was very unprofessional and called to complain.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 04-16-2005, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks so much for all your input!

I am very professional and burn like a lobster, so no need to worry about inappropriate clothing here. Plus my old bosses wife loved me, and we worked alone a lot, so no troubles there. I should be okay that way. Dont want to give off the wrong vibe and put myself at risk when I'm working alone anyhow.

I will be designing my doorhanger today while doing laundry and will get most of them out on Sunday so I can chat with potential customers while they're more likely to be home.

Hope you're all having great weather and business is going smooth.

P.S. I also wanted to say that I will admit in a heart beat that I am not as strong as a man, but that means I just have to do things a little different to be as efficient. I've never had a complaint from coworkers, or my old boss either.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up "Put those night / day Mares aside"

"Lisa's Landscapes", sounds like a stright forward name, 1 of my company names is "Floral Designs By Saxon" [ Saxon is my 1st name], This works for Me!!!!!....Being a woman, havein a different name, sets you aside from everybody else.......About mowin, when I started I had a 32" troybilt dedicated mulch mower, my assistant [ a woman, 5ft tall, easily handled that mower [ self propelled ] & we ramped it into our pk-up on 2 -2x6's w/ ramp parts [ ramp ends], since it was a mulcher we didnt need a big truck or a trailer to haul that waste.[ in fact 2 of those mowers fit into a 8ft pick-up]....A few full service accounts wouldnt kill you, and will help maintain a solid cash flow.....We used weekly maintance to get us a start, only did 20 accounts at $20-30 per cut, we did these in 2-days [ not 2 - kick-ass days either[...But it helped get us exposure, we'd put out flyers where we were working [ 5-10 ], and being a woman, if somebody smiles or says "Hello", take it from there, promote yourself & your Bizness....Bein small you can take any small job to start?.....Move that 3-4ft shrub- $ 40-60 bucks, feed those landscape planting $25-75...these prices work for properties 3-5000sq,ft...."Best Advice"....find yourself a good perennial grower [ most are women in my area], get flats of 4" pots, usally 12 to a flat, avg cost is $2.25 per plant [ now very easy for you to double its cost and charge a fair labor rate to install ]....You may want to do a summer special, a 5ft x 5ft bed [ pre-exsisting], offer 30-40 perennials installed for $175.00, plant in bunchs of 7's to get "Bursts of color"......Of course weeding, mulching, edgeing is all extra, soooooooo on the basic job you end up makein $100.00 for an hour & ahalf......[ far more than a grass cutter?]-.....So dont worry, Regards Saxon
Old 04-17-2005, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a 25 year old woman. I have been landscaping since I was eighteen and this is my third year of owning my business with my "little" brother. There are times when I am very glad to have him, like when pulling out 40 year old junipers. But, for the most part, I am capable of doing anything I need to. We hire women almost exclusively (sorry guys) because they work harder consistently and pay attention to detail. But we specialize in working in existing landscapes doing maintenance (beds only, no mowing), renovations, installs, etc. We focus on quality, like not piling mulch up against a tree trunk, and women pay better attention to those details. I prefer not to do new landscapes at this point. My knees are already getting blown out from crouching to pull weeds for the last seven years, and my wrists hurt from deadheading flowers with pruners. I work hard enough, new landscapes would be too much at this point. Repetitive stress injuries are a real issue in the landscape industry.
I totally understand the young voice issue. I also sound like a twelve year old. I look young too, so I have to emphasize my experience and expertise. I have more of a problem with being shy! I am naturally shy, so I have to concentrate hard on talking to people. Usually I'm okay once I start talking about plants.
My best advice is to buy quality tools and find the most efficient way to do things. Steel shovels and Felco #2 pruners are required.
Good luck. You'll do fine.
Howell, MI 48843
Garden & Landscape Design, Installation, & Maintenance
Old 04-17-2005, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My wife does

My wife actually owns our business. On paper anyway. She does everything I do out there and loves it. There are somethings I can do qwiker or easier so it's no different then any other crew. You let who is more efficient at one thing do that one thing mainly. Some yards I'm qwiker at mowing or edging or vise-versa. One landscaping we just jump in and do it. I usually have the idea and tell her what to do. She sees what I'm getting at then takes it from there. We also get great response from our customers. She's a great people person and really helps to sell our work. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

My girlfriend works for my company, and she works harder then anyother employee i have, she has more incentive, but she works very hard, she doesn't get the most work done but she puts forth so much effort, it is truely amazing
Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaverbuddy
Thanks for your input. This is one of my biggest fears.

Thanks for the welcome too. I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Lisa and I am 21, in my 2nd year as an Engineering Student, and have just moved away from my wonderful boss of 3 summers. I wasn't going to landscape this summer but I just cant stay away from it, so here I am trying to go on my own for the first time at the last minute. I don't have anything ready yet...no cards, no fliers, no truck yet either. But I will get it all done and quick as I can too. I guess the biggest thing holding me back is a name. The obvious is "Lisa's Landscapes" and I like it, but I'm scared they wont call just because I'm a woman. I dont want to use my last name, no real reason, it just doesn't feel right. So, any thoughts? I also have "day-mares" (nightmares) about customers calling and hanging up immediately when they hear my 12 year old girly voice(This is not unfounded. I really do have a childish voice!). My other day-mare is that they wont rent me a bobcat because they dont trust me with it! Rediculous, I know, it's just cold feet. Any thoughts, comments are welcome.

We've got a number of female owned installation and design businesses around..........I think it is a selling point since just like real estate, the WOMAN is the one that typically decides what house is going to be purchased, the man just signs the checks. (LOL!) (I'm actually quite serious, real estate agents will tell you this) I believe it is the Women of the household who've got a lot of say so in landscaping as well.

Good luck to you...............
Old 04-18-2005, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the well wishes. I am needing them right now.

I am majorly behind. I just got my doorhangers printed today, but won't be able to get them out until Thursday afternoon as I am still in the middle of finals.

You can all laugh when you hear that I had decided to cut the holes myself. After doing 50 of 500 by tracing around a metal circle with an exacto knife, I gave up. Then an idea hit. I searched my entire house for silly putty, and will just hang them right on the front door at eye level. Here's to hoping I'm not a complete idiot, since I imagine 75% of them will fly off in the wind!

Have any of you put up sandwich signs(2 square boards held together by hinges, and when the bottoms are separated, it supports itself)? I am thinking I could put these in the new areas needing sod. But they are about $100, so I would have to make and paint them myself. The other day I was in Tim Hortons drive thru and I noticed another landscapers sign stuck right in the groud beside it. I am secretly jealous I did not think of this first. Everyone can call him while they're waiting in line for their coffee.

And just one more question. Do any of you have any experience with rubber stamps? I am thinking about getting one for invoices, receipts, etc. I can get one for $28, or make my own for $25 with a Micheals kit(which can be changed at any time to say whatever I want).

Hope you're all comfortable busy. Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
You can all laugh when you hear that I had decided to cut the holes myself. After doing 50 of 500 by tracing around a metal circle with an exacto knife, I gave up. Then an idea hit. I searched my entire house for silly putty, and will just hang them right on the front door at eye level. Here's to hoping I'm not a complete idiot, since I imagine 75% of them will fly off in the wind!
lol i did get a little chuckle out of that.
might want to try stapling a rubber band to the top of the door hanger.
it works well and doesn't look to bad.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lisa turn your private message on.
MJLsLawnCareNmore@hotmail.com