Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-16-2005, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Exmark commercial

Have you guys seen the new exmark commercial trying to sell pro equipment to homeowners. I don't like it I understand wanting to make more profit but this seems wrong to me for some reason.What are your opinions.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

dang! i just saw that commercial too! i got on to complain as well. as for the commercial goes - what home owner is gonna buy a $7,000+ zero turn mower (sorry if i don't know the real price of one, never really cared enough) for a yard they will only mow once a week. for pros it makes more sense because 8-10 months out of the year they are using them everyday, mowing more then 10 accounts a day. it just seems like a poor choice of advertisement on exmarks part because it shows how shallow and greedy they are or want to be. and its not just me who thinks that, what do you think the wealthy home owner is gonna say when they're like, oh i like that commercial, maybe i should check up on an exmark ztr... the mower cost HOW much?!?!?!?!!!!!

so think of it this way,

exmark ztr - cost - $over 7K
lawn service on a overly sized yard- 60 bucks, per week, lets say, 30 weeks
around 1800 a season
but then you might as well include trimming and blowing and gas and supplies, and time, and inconveinence, and its NOT worth it
come on, is a homeowner willing to make those kinds of sacrafices, paying that much for a mower and mowing as often and doing as good of a job as a pro?

I DONT THINK SO

but i wouldn't mind having one

if it ain't broke, drink till it is
Old 04-16-2005, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

when is better quick gonna come out with their commercial.

Old 04-16-2005, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i think it was in competition w/ Gravely's
Old 04-16-2005, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALMlawn&landscaping
dang! i just saw that commercial too! i got on to complain as well. as for the commercial goes - what home owner is gonna buy a $7,000+ zero turn mower (sorry if i don't know the real price of one, never really cared enough) for a yard they will only mow once a week. for pros it makes more sense because 8-10 months out of the year they are using them everyday, mowing more then 10 accounts a day. it just seems like a poor choice of advertisement on exmarks part because it shows how shallow and greedy they are or want to be. and its not just me who thinks that, what do you think the wealthy home owner is gonna say when they're like, oh i like that commercial, maybe i should check up on an exmark ztr... the mower cost HOW much?!?!?!?!!!!!

so think of it this way,

around 1800 a season
but then you might as well include trimming and blowing and gas and supplies, and time, and inconveinence, and its NOT worth it
come on, is a homeowner willing to make those kinds of sacrafices, paying that much for a mower and mowing as often and doing as good of a job as a pro?

I DONT THINK SO

Ok, how much do you charge to mow let's say approx 15-20 acres, which includes mowing around a 3 or 4 acre lake. Frequency of mowing is whenever the customer feels the grass is getting too tall, or when he is having a bunch of company over for a party. Currently, it takes him 6-7 hours with a Scag Turf Tiger 61".

So, what is your price?
Old 04-16-2005, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by beransfixitinc
Ok, how much do you charge to mow let's say approx 15-20 acres, which includes mowing around a 3 or 4 acre lake. Frequency of mowing is whenever the customer feels the grass is getting too tall, or when he is having a bunch of company over for a party. Currently, it takes him 6-7 hours with a Scag Turf Tiger 61".

So, what is your price?
Without knowing more, I'd charge about $750 a pop if it was going to be done on a regular basis and $1000 +/- if it was just whenever it got too tall. Although, I would have to really think about it before I agreed to the "whenever it gets too tall" deal. If you mow it when it is too tall, it will look like **** and you might not even want your name on it.

If the customer has 15-20 acres near Austin (depending on how near) and a 61" mower, it sounds like he has a little money. If he has money, it is probably because he is well paid. So, what is 6-7 hours of his time worth? Probably between $725 and $1750, I'd guess. Besides, most people only get 2 days off per week. Why would he want to burn nearly an entire day mowing the lawn?

language
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.

Last edited by Charles; 04-16-2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

alright, some texas boys, you know what you do for 15-20 acres? i work on a ranch, here's my large area mower and yes, it lays stripes

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=102199

bulverde for me, san marcos, austin, we're all in the same area, so no excuses

Old 04-16-2005, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Updog
Have you guys seen the new exmark commercial trying to sell pro equipment to homeowners. I don't like it I understand wanting to make more profit but this seems wrong to me for some reason.What are your opinions.
Why would it be wrong?
Old 04-16-2005, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

so think of it this way,

around 1800 a season

I DONT THINK SO

The homeowner doesn't look at it like that. They compare the monthly payment against the monthly cost of lawn care. A guy paying $90 a week for a 1 1/2 hour cut might be willing to buy one of these. For 6 hours a month he gets a mower that will last a life time and bragging rights to his neighbors that he owns the same mower that their lawn care uses.

If you figure that the mower will last long past the time the mower payments have stopped. It really doesn't sound to bad to the homeowner. He can throw a Blower and trimmer in for little extra monthly payment too. An ambitious man would have fun cutting his lawn every week and 1 1/2 hours is no different then the homeowner that uses a 21" push mower on a 1/2 acre.

I'm not saying I like the Idea, but I am seeing more and more Homeowners with 1/4 - 1/2 acre lots owning a commercial walk-behind.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice

Quote:
alright, some texas boys, you know what you do for 15-20 acres? i work on a ranch, here's my large area mower and yes, it lays stripes

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=102199

bulverde for me, san marcos, austin, we're all in the same area, so no excuses
I'm no rancher, but I have worked a few summers on a tobacco farm. That looks like a TN65 or similar with a 60" rough cut mower. That oughtta clear 15 acres pretty damn quick.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.