Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-16-2005, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

damn you're good, its the TN65 with the 72" squealer! and yes, it clears brush like none other
the way i think-
a mower that last a lifetime..
a home owner that doesn't..
its not that mowing is hard..
its everything else that is..
a homeowner has two days off..
i'd rather be fishing..
have you ever tried edging around even 5 acres on a large country lot??
texas is hot..
most home owners will pass..
and hire some one else..
even if they do it themselves, they'll get the local JD special 42" lawn tractor, good for them, hopefully they have lots of kids, and hopefully their kids have lots of grandkids

if it ain't broke, drink till it is
Old 04-16-2005, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALMlawn&landscaping
damn you're good, its the TN65 with the 72" squealer! and yes, it clears brush like none other
I grew up in Connecticut and spent many summers cutting, stringing and hanging tobacco. Driving the rigs from the fields to the barns was one of the perks you got if you were one of the guys who lasted more than one season.

I keep telling my wife that I'm looking for an excuse to get an old Farmall Super C, but I don't think she believes me.

Don't tell anyone I'm a yankee...
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
Without knowing more, I'd charge about $750 a pop if it was going to be done on a regular basis and $1000 +/- if it was just whenever it got too tall. Although, I would have to really think about it before I agreed to the "whenever it gets too tall" deal. If you mow it when it is too tall, it will look like sh*t and you might not even want your name on it.

If the customer has 15-20 acres near Austin (depending on how near) and a 61" mower, it sounds like he has a little money. If he has money, it is probably because he is well paid. So, what is 6-7 hours of his time worth? Probably between $725 and $1750, I'd guess. Besides, most people only get 2 days off per week. Why would he want to burn nearly an entire day mowing the lawn?
He has more than "a little money". He owns the contracting company. And he enjoys mowing his "yard". Says it relaxes him after everything he has to deal with all day. It's just him and his mower and nothing can reach him.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beransfixitinc
He has more than "a little money". He owns the contracting company. And he enjoys mowing his "yard". Says it relaxes him after everything he has to deal with all day. It's just him and his mower and nothing can reach him.
Then, I guess I wouldn't charge him anything. He doesn't sound like a potential customer.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

haha, my boss manages an 9billion dollar a year company, yes, you read right, and he loves to mow the yard too, but i make sure everything is done for him so he doesn't even have to worry, every day he comes home and he sees his ranch in perfect condition and all 2 or so acres of st. agustine in pristeine condition, and he can go to bed and wake up happy and spend his weekends doing things with his lovely wife and family.

maybe thats why i dont agree with the exmark commercial, what can be better then having a pro do it for you, or even the ranch hand (in my case). family is important, and if anything, exmark should be advertising that their equipment is one of the best, to further promote the knowledge for home owners, that hey, if some one uses high quality stuff (not just exmark) then they are pros, and the homeowner can relax and leave their yard, their pride and joy, in the hands of others.

if it ain't broke, drink till it is
Old 04-16-2005, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bad move on the part of eXmark in my opinion.

Sorta like the commercial dealer that has his own mowing crew.
Or the supply company that has it's own applicator crew.

Not a good business practice.
Greed is what it is.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-16-2005, 05:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You all may not like it but Exmark is just trying to reach more of a segment of the population that is already buying the bulk of commercial riders. I know of a commercial dealer locally who's clientle is over 80% homeowner. I bought my "new" Dixie wih only 29 hours on it from a homeowner for $4500. In the right areas there's a lot of money being spent on luxury items from Hummers to Harleys to commercial mowers.

Old 04-16-2005, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Guys if you knew the numbers that Exmark was already selling to the homeowner market right now, you would all pass out. The reason that anyone is targeting selling high end ZTR's to a residence, is because a lot of people are getting smarter with their purchases. My father for example has 4 acres. He is 55 yrs old, and is never going to have anyone cut his property other than himself. He bought an LHP 48/20 last year. Takes approx. 2 hours to do the job. So he may put 75 hrs a year on it. In comparison to the lifetime commercially for these mowers, he will never by another lawnmower. He just like others are tired of spending $2,000 every couple of years on lawn tractors, when he can spend $7,000 and be done with it. In ten years the average homeowner has spent enough for a Lazer, and with little hours on it by commercial, it will still be going strong. That is why Exmark is advertising to homeowners, because a lot of homeowners are buying them already.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, I wouldn't be afraid to say that they currently make up over 50% of total sales.

I have no problem with that.
It's the advertisement and encouragement to buy.

...that sorta stings a little, and you can bet your last buck that this eventually effects the service we get from these compaies.

"If you place a low value upon yourself, rest assured..... the world will not raise your price."

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers on long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"
Old 04-16-2005, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy Lawn Service
I have no problem with that.
It's the advertisement and encouragement to buy.

...that sorta stings a little,
Really? Do you have any idea of why Exmark is in business? In case you don't know it's to make money. The bottom line is they don't really care where the money comes from just so long as it keeps increasing profits. Remember, they are owned by Toro. A lot of people here whined and cried when Exmark pulled the plug on their forum. The "word" was that Terrry was no longer with Exmark and there was no one else to do the job. B.S. Terry may no longer be with Exmark but that's not the reason they don't moderate it any more. In all likelyhood (Note to moderators, I don't know this for sure, it is pure speculation) it came down to paying someone to moderate their forum or paying for spots (ads). I guess the spots pay off better. Lawnsite is a great place to advertise but the truth is that Exmark can touch more potential customers other ways.