Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2005, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck

Good luck getting any useful information from some of these guys.

My place is on about a half acre (about 22,000 square feet) and I mow, trim, edge and blow, by myself, with a homeowner 21" since the place is too rocky for a good mower and has too many trees for a bigger mower. It takes me about 1.5-2 hours.

So, not including drive time and setup/teardown, I would expect that you could do 3 or 4 per hour. You're only talking about a handful of acres. I'd feel comfortable trying to get that done in two fairly easy days, if they are close together.

Hell, if it takes you 20 minutes to drive to each, 10 minutes to unload, 10 minutes to load and 20 minutes to mow, trim, edge and blow, you can still get it done in three days and contrary to what others might say, it will be a fairly easy 3 days, since you will be resting 40 minutes for every 20 you work.
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
Good luck getting any useful information from some of these guys.

Useful information only exists to those who want to open their mind and learn.
Buying a 21" mower and then asking how to cut 30 existing lawns is a bit like putting the cart before the horse.

They didn't build an atom bomb first and then try to figure out how it worked.................

By the way I enjoyed the "2 easy days" comment........................That would be 45,000 (1 ACRE)square feet of turf each day with a 21" mower, plus drive time, blowing, trimming, etc. etc.
Hardly what I consider an easy day.
By the way, if "your place is on half an acre" that means it is only aprox. half that much turf.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmcmrhp52
Useful information only exists to those who want to open their mind and learn.
Buying a 21" mower and then asking how to cut 30 existing lawns is a bit like putting the cart before the horse.

They didn't build an atom bomb first and then try to figure out how it worked.................

By the way I enjoyed the "2 easy days" comment........................That would be 45,000 (1 ACRE)square feet of turf each day with a 21" mower, plus drive time, blowing, trimming, etc. etc.
Hardly what I consider an easy day.
By the way, if "your place is on half an acre" that means it is only aprox. half that much turf.
I'd bet that there is more turf around a single house on 1/2 acre than there is around 7 houses on 1/2 acre. I get mine done in 2 hours and it ain't that hard, even in August. I'm guessing I could do it once or twice more in the same day without really hurting.

11 hours a day, 6 days a week on a tobacco farm is hard. 5 or 6 hours with a mower and a few hours of driving isn't.

He asked how long it would take, not how stupid you thought he was...
Old 04-18-2005, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=pagefault]I'd bet that there is more turf around a single house on 1/2 acre than there is around 7 houses on 1/2 acre. QUOTE]

And you're talking about stupid?
I said you are NOT cutting half an acre of turf if your house is sitting on a half acre lot. Just plain fact. But then what would an ignorant lawnboy know over a homeowner on such issues??????

I'll say it again, maybe you'll be able to comprehend..................If your house is sitting on half an acre you are cutting only aprox. half that area in turf.
Go measure it and let me know Einstein.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Btw

He also asked if there was anything else he needed to buy or do. Did you answer that either? I am trying to open my mind, but I just don't see anything useful in your response.

I guess I'm just not ready to learn.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Uh huh

[QUOTE=dvmcmrhp52]
Quote:
I'd bet that there is more turf around a single house on 1/2 acre than there is around 7 houses on 1/2 acre. QUOTE]

And you're talking about stupid?
I said you are NOT cutting half an acre of turf if your house is sitting on a half acre lot. Just plain fact. But then what would an ignorant lawnboy know over a homeowner on such issues??????

I'll say it again, maybe you'll be able to comprehend..................If your house is sitting on half an acre you are cutting only aprox. half that area in turf.
Go measure it and let me know Einstein.
And he's going to be cutting even less than I am. Or do seven houses take up less space than one???
Old 04-18-2005, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
He also asked if there was anything else he needed to buy or do. Did you answer that either? I am trying to open my mind, but I just don't see anything useful in your response.

I guess I'm just not ready to learn.

And neither is there anything useful in your rersponse, because you have no idea of what you speak.
It gets a little old listening to the rediculous questions being asked about 21" mowers and lots and lots of customers as if that's all it takes...................He'll be cussing that 21" mower after the first week, but then I'm certainly not as knowledgeable as perhaps maybe you would be, EH?

Enough of this childish nonsense...............
Old 04-18-2005, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah

There are plenty of people on this site using 21" mowers for lots like he is planning to do. 30 of them isn't exactly "lots and lots" at that size. You guys outfit yourselves to handle acres per hour, but a guy with a 21" can't get an acre done in a day? Please. We had more than an acre when I was a kid and I had to mow it with a 21" push. I didn't have to edge and trim, but I had plenty of time to go play football when I was done.

Why don't you just tell him what equipment he needs, how many people and how much time? We're all waiting to learn from you.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seriously

Even at MM's projected efficiency of 20%, he's looking at 15 hours plus drive time.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

errrrr, back

to the original post.

Sounds to me you may be OK unless you edge hard surfaces in your area. Then you'll need an edger. I'm assuming you have a truck you'll be using?

Hey, '52, what size mowers do you suggest on this guys 3000' lawns? I agree it's a lot of mowing, but I suspect those small lawns have obstacles, and if so a 21 may be the ticket, even if he could or wanted to buy a larger mower, such as the often recommended 36 belt