Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-17-2005, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

john deere walk behind

Hello every one, I have a 52" john deere walk behind that i got for free and am getting running mostly for personal use. its mostly complete but is missing the front caster wheels. the bolt on mounts are on the deck, but that is it. it is probably around 10 years old. so i was wondering if anybody had a used set laying around. or maybe a used set from a different brand that i could make work.

I can get all these parts from the local dealer but they want alot of money, im just trying to do this cheaper. If you need any more info just ask. any help would be appreciated , not looking for free stuff but dont want to put a ton of money into this thing..

thanks , Bryan
Old 04-19-2005, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Member

ok , no comments. well im not just another jack azz kid. i did landscaping for 8 years, then two years ago i went out on my own building decks and doing remodeling. i got the mower from the guy i used to work for. he was just going to throw it away. it will work prefect for mine and my neibors large lawns. I know this is my first post , and i know how these places get full of idiots . i have been over on plowsite for 6 months and thought i would give it a try over here.

I dont claim to know it all either , im just trying to get a little help. i made allot of friends on plowsite and helped a few people too. so please dont ignore me , if what i asked is a dumb question let me know. But i always say ther is no such thing as a dumb question........

Thanks Bryan
Old 04-19-2005, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Bryan, That 52" John Deer is a very expensive machine. I have a Toro 44" walkbehind that I bougth 14 years ago and when I looked at the prices for a replacement they were around $3,500. That John Deere 53 has to be much more. Since you got it for nothing why not spend some money to make it right. John Deere like Toro must have a parts breakdown online. Get your exact model number and serial number and do a little research. You'll be much happier with yourself if you put the right stuff on this machine.
Good luck. John Gov.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

john deere walk behind...

Another thing that you could do is get onto E-Bay and work yourself into outdoor equipment, and then to lawnmowers and finally to Joh Deere Lawnmowers. Check it everday for the parts listings, and bid on parts from there. Good Luck.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dailey
Another thing that you could do is get onto E-Bay and work yourself into outdoor equipment, and then to lawnmowers and finally to Joh Deere Lawnmowers. Check it everday for the parts listings, and bid on parts from there. Good Luck.
I was thinking the same thing.
also check local dealers and the local scrap yards for parts, maybe even independent mower shops, most all have a stash of parts machines.