Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-17-2005, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

First year running a business.

It's nice to belong to a large community like this to share all the info and experiences learned. Thanks for having me.

Anyways, let's get to my story. First let me say, I'm not new to the Lawn Industry. I have worked for others before when I was in the late teens, early twenties and have enjoyed most of what I've experienced. I left the Lawn Industry to find a more stable and sustainable line of work with benefits, and thoughts of the possibility of finding my calling in life. Well, hospitality seemed to work for a good while, but ever since the attack of "9/11" the industry has had many short comings, changes, lay offs and disapointments time after time. Needless to say, I'm getting tired of it all. Just recently it was mentioned to me that the company may downsize the position I carry with-in the ranks so I should be on the look out for another opportunity. I wasn't quite sure what ship I was going to jump onto until earlier this year when driving around I smelled the sweet smell of fresh cut grass. "Man! I love that smell" <-- I was thinking, when I realized I needed to get back into cutting grass again. Sticking with what I know would be the best route to take after all. Figuring that even with a part time set-up, working for myself I could make as much or more than working hospitality. After all I was only making $21,000 annually(without bonuses), and that shouldn't be to hard to match or beat. Not to long after purchasing some equipment and making the plan of action, I got some mixed news. I'm going to become a dad soon! My heart sank a little, thinking what if I don't make it, and of the benefits I may not have when the time comes. Then again, it gave me inspiration to work harder, or at least for now to plan better. Here in Knoxville, like everywhere else it seems everybody with a truck has a lawn business. And like everwhere else the market is price driven, but quality usually ends up winning the accounts.
Life throws alot of curve balls, but let's make the best of things. Wish me luck.

~Man must suffer to be great, but hasten not his progress unduly.~ Kolbrin Bible - Book of Manuscripts
Old 04-29-2005, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

good luck man, i can somewhat relate

# 8
Old 04-29-2005, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlawn
I'm going to become a dad soon! My heart sank a little, thinking what if I don't make it, and of the benefits I may not have when the time comes.
Sounds like me a few years back.......I now have 2 boys and another on the way.....3 boys=Good for the business down the road.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen's Lawn Care
Sounds like me a few years back.......I now have 2 boys and another on the way.....3 boys=Good for the business down the road.
That's what I'm hoping for, a boy. I wouldn't know what to do with a girl. If it were a girl, she would have to be a tom boy, LoL.

~Man must suffer to be great, but hasten not his progress unduly.~ Kolbrin Bible - Book of Manuscripts
Old 05-31-2005, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey man, guess what, the best part is that you do not have to worry about any of it. Pray about it and give it to God to work out. God is always there for you and will take you farther than the best planning or situation ever could. Good Luck.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie07
Hey man, guess what, the best part is that you do not have to worry about any of it. Pray about it and give it to God to work out. God is always there for you and will take you farther than the best planning or situation ever could. Good Luck.
Wow. Just wow. You actually believe that?

All this time I have been working for what I want to acheive. I guess I should just sit back, relax, and just pray that god will take care of me. Does ol' JC mind if I have a beer while I wait?

I didn't know I could forgo planning if I just drop of 10% of my hard earned dollars in the collection plate.

Dude, It's 2005. Mytholgical creatures DON'T pull the sun over the mountians with chariots of fire.

Good luck Joshlawn, with HARD WORK and SMART PLANNING you will be able to provide for your family.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickMowing

All this time I have been working for what I want to acheive. I guess I should just sit back, relax, and just pray that god will take care of me. Does ol' JC mind if I have a beer while I wait?

I didn't know I could forgo planning if I just drop of 10% of my hard earned dollars in the collection plate.

Dude, It's 2005. Mytholgical creatures DON'T pull the sun over the mountians with chariots of fire.

I hear that alot down hear in the bible belt, He has good intentions though.

Last edited by NoobLawnJockey; 06-02-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunswickMowing

Good luck Joshlawn, with HARD WORK and SMART PLANNING you will be able to provide for your family.
Thanks for the encouragement BrunswickMowing, I appreciate it deeply. Also, I agree with you about Newbie07"s post, but I do appreciate his thoughts and encouragement too.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Good luck joshlawn. I am not to far from you in more ways than one. It wasn't til my son was born that I decided to do what I love and provide a better future for him. I love the lawn care industry and hope to make a full time gig out of it. Your right, about everyone and their neighbors have a lawn care business. It is tough out there but professionalism, integrity, and hard work are the foundation of this business IMO. Many of the "scrubs" out there with the mower hanging out the trunk won't last long. Even though this is a price driven industry quality means longevity. Many die out and more will come but as long as you know your costs, price accordingly, and provide the best quality of service you'll be fine. I believe what sets the pros apart from the "scrubs" is the relationship with the customer. I have found in east tn that many customers will come out just to shoot the bull, ask questions, and hang out. This is a good opportunitiy to put the ole sales hat on and provide solutions for some of their lawn care problems.

If your ever in the tri cities look me up. Good luck with everything on congratulations on the new addition.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something D
Good luck joshlawn. I am not to far from you in more ways than one. It wasn't til my son was born that I decided to do what I love and provide a better future for him. I love the lawn care industry and hope to make a full time gig out of it. Your right, about everyone and their neighbors have a lawn care business. It is tough out there but professionalism, integrity, and hard work are the foundation of this business IMO. Many of the "scrubs" out there with the mower hanging out the trunk won't last long. Even though this is a price driven industry quality means longevity. Many die out and more will come but as long as you know your costs, price accordingly, and provide the best quality of service you'll be fine. I believe what sets the pros apart from the "scrubs" is the relationship with the customer. I have found in east tn that many customers will come out just to shoot the bull, ask questions, and hang out. This is a good opportunitiy to put the ole sales hat on and provide solutions for some of their lawn care problems.

If your ever in the tri cities look me up. Good luck with everything on congratulations on the new addition.

I believe your right on what it takes to make it in the business, and I too love the lawn work. The smell of fresh cut grass, in the cool morning air is wonderous. Working for myself out in the great outdoors provides a peace that I haven't been able to find in my other professions.