Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-17-2005, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Cut the hand on the blade....

I had the accident today that i never wanted to have. While i was changing the blades on my Wright Stander, the vice grip slipped off and it cut my hand up pretty bad. 5 stiches and a hurting hand. I was wondering how you guys protect yourself from the blades while changing them. Have any of you guys made something that covers the blades or anything. Any input on the safest way to change the blades would be appreciated.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use a half inch ratchet on bottom, and a 1/2" impact gun on the top. I haven't had the misfortune of cutting myself changing them(yet), ..but I never even come into contact with the blades this way. For the WB's, I do them the same way. I did pick up a blade blocker for $ 7 from Blue Blazes in Kentucky last fall . It's simple in design, but works great for changing 21's.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anytime i am handling blades, hands are inside leather gloves.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only time my hand touches the blade is when its on the ground. I hold the pulley and put my socket on the top nut and turn
Old 04-17-2005, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You didn't say, but I think your Wright has a capscrew on the blade, screwed into the spindle, right? For those of us who have through-bolts, we use two wrenches, one on the top, the other on the bottom. Apparently, you needed to hold the blade, while turning the capscrew. I service some lawn tractors for home-owners, and they typically have capscrews (e.g. John Deere). The procedure scares me. I too use a Vice-Grip to hold the blade, blocked up against the deck someplace. But, it is subject to slipping off. There must be a better way. If I had to deal with capscrew arrangements regularly, I would try something different.

When changing bladles on my 21" mowers, I block the blade with my foot on taking it off. When remounting, the dull side of the blade can be held with the second hand.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

impact guns, never have to worry about cut hands with one.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You only need two 15/16" wrench and a jungle jack to change blades on a stander. Put the blade on the bolt, then the spaces (I use four spacers). For those running double putting them in a X now makes life easier) Hold the blade in the middle with your palm holding the bolt. Slide it up into the spindle, then with your other hand, put on the rest of the spacers (I use two) and the nut. Tighten the nut until its hand tight. Then put one box end of one wrench on the top and do the same on the bottom. Tighten until it becomes quite hard to turn. You don't need to go over board with them. Otherwise you will never get them off in the field if you need to. Only once have I had a a blade come loose and that was after hitting a rock that was 6" by 6" by 6".

I personally have quite a few scars on my hands from blades. Since my blades are sharpen until they have a razor edge on them. So handling them is dangerous.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 04-17-2005, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowe Mowing
I had the accident today that i never wanted to have. While i was changing the blades on my Wright Stander, the vice grip slipped off and it cut my hand up pretty bad. 5 stiches and a hurting hand. I was wondering how you guys protect yourself from the blades while changing them. Have any of you guys made something that covers the blades or anything. Any input on the safest way to change the blades would be appreciated.

Use a cordless 18v impact gun....that thing will bust the lugnuts loose on my F450....love it...
Old 04-18-2005, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I personally have quite a few scars on my hands from blades. Since my blades are sharpen until they have a razor edge on them. So handling them is dangerous.[/QUOTE]

That might be part of the problem as having them razor sharp.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in Sears the other day buying some wrenches and saw a blade blocker on their shelf. I think it was less than $10. Could be a good investment.