Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-04-2001, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

We currently gross 400k a year. 100k of this is chemical lawn care. I started out ewith on guy then proceeded to two as growth was anticipated. The original guy is the manager. he has been injured and is unable to do any physical work, even snow plowing is to much. He is reliable, but clealy is not busy enough just managing one guy. I have been pushing him to do cold sales in order to build the chemical lawn portion of the business. He is not in to doing the cold sales. He does help out with alot of errands and other things when Im busy.

He curenntly makes 27k on basically 40 hours, he doesnt care for overtime. he has approached me for a raise to 30-35k and would like a percentage of profit. Although he is reliable, trustworthy, and honest, this has got me contemplating looking for a more motivated individual that is able to do physical work and think.

Please share your thoughts with me and what your manager does and for what money.
Old 02-04-2001, 07:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why not a percentage of the profits? That's what he's asking for, so obviously that's what's going to motivate him. Then he'd have the incentive to make the cold calls you want him to. As it stands now, there is no incentive for him to make cold calls, he draws salary regardless. Seems like a Win-Win situation to me. A lot of large, successful companies are doing just that.

Mick
Old 02-04-2001, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

How was he hurt, is it a W/C injury? I couldn't give him a raise to run errands, he would have to contribute to the bottom line.
Old 02-04-2001, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

did you read pro mag? Vander Kooi ,beware of egg-sucking dogs. read this article.

Why would you give this guy a raise? sounds like he wants more money for sub par performance. Make a you need pay for performance program. not just on sales but his entire performance.

if you were him would you expect a raise?
Old 02-04-2001, 12:46 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
I would have cut him lose on UC when he got hurt.
If he cannot work in the field if needed he has no value IMHO.
Old 02-04-2001, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Member

You need to find someone that contributes. This guy is not willing to do what it takes.

Up the money and incentive and you can find someone capable.

Old 02-04-2001, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't throw good money after bad.

If he isn't motivated now, giving him more money won't inspire him to work harder.

If he really wants a cut of the profits, let him put some skin in the game. Offer to share profits, but cut his pay. Set it up so that he has to maintain current performance to keep current pay. Work harder, bring in more $$ for biz=more $$ for him. Work less, bring in less $$ for biz=less money for him.

Old 02-09-2001, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

According to ALCA 2000 Salary Survey the high end pay rate for an experienced applicator in a company grossing under $500,000 is $26,000. That takes into account all of the USA. Midwest regional numbers are a touch lower than that - like $25,000 per year. People managing one "crew" (not managing one applicator) makes $27,500 (average). Managing multi crews gets $34,000 (average).

Sounds like your guy has a rather high opinion of himself, and given what you describe - he's the only one with that opinion.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes the toughest decisions occur when dealing with lonetime employees. I think you need to sit down with him and explain the reality of the situation. Hell my hunting dog is reliable but the day he quits producing and is afraid to jump in the water for that extra duck is the day I see my breeder.

Bottom line is point out his positives and be honest with him how you see things. he might not like what you have to say and feels he has helped you build the business, but keep in mind it was'nt his money he has been asking for.

Good luck keep us posted
Old 02-16-2001, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey John,
I saw your info on ALCA's wages and thought I would share this story.

Do you think my employee has a high opinion of himself.
He has been with us 2 years. Last year was his first year running a crew. He was in charge of 1-2 men. No benefits, plenty of ot and layoff in the winter. (except when it snowed.) Jan-march $9 hr;April raised to $11 hr. (did I mention he had only been in this buisness 1-2 months prior to coming to my co.)

Here's where it gets good. Major problems with employees last year, get rid of 7 guys keeping him and 1 other. The 2 guys go out together, my brother goes out by himself and I go out by myself. Were busting a hump but getting it done. Now the 2 guys are talking to joe fly by night and they feel they need a $3hr raise. (this is around Oct.) Joe fly by night is paying his guys $14 hr and they 4-5 men on a crew doing $30 lawns.The foreman just doesnt show up 1 day, no call no nothing but he wants this raise because he "deserves it". After all he only has 1 other man on his crew. (I have a rider for every crew member, its unprofitable for me to have more than 2 men on a crew, same with joe fly by nighter but he just doesnt know it.) So, we give it to him, no choice. Well we realized we needed to make some changes this year. We sat him down a couple days ago and explained to him what the changes were and what we were offering him. Our offer: $14 hr NO OT. We will not have ot this year. 40 hr work week year round, no layoff. 1 week paid vacation and 4 sick days. 50% medical paid by company. This package equals $32,000.00 yr. ( he made 26,000.00 last year) He also has chances to earn bonuses throughout the year, which we want him to because it will mean we are making more. Well he came back with his offer yesterday, he wants $18hr, 75% medical paid, 2 weeks paid vacation and 8 days sick pay. This equals $43,000.00!!!! I wish I could get raises like that (66%).

When he gave us this counteroffer, (I can tell it is all his wife's doing) I asked him where he came up with this offer. He replied it was what he felt he deserved. So I asked him 3 times why he felt he deserved it and never got an answer.

BTW he called out sick today!! (I guess he is showing us why he deserved it!!)And no were not giving it to him. I just cant beleive what he was asking for and on top of that I think he really thought we were going to give it to him. Thanks for letting me vent a little.

Mark A Musolf