Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-18-2005, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Grading a lawn install...

I was asked to bid a lawn install today. The job will require some leveling of the soil in their back yard. It's about a 7000 sq.ft. back yard. I don't have a skidsteer, and would rather not rent one. Anybody know if I can level the dirt pulling something behind my ZT? Is there a drag behind disc or something I could use. Normally I have my crew go in and pick the rock and rake the soil, we've never had a job requiring grading. I'd really appreciate any help you guys can offer.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just rent a front end loader with a landscape box on the rear.Use the loader to spread any topsoil needed and level with the box.Then final grade by hand.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just doing a search on this.... Can you attach a box blade to a Z and grade a lawn?

I have to do a lawn that has some small hills and bumps. I've never used a skid loader so don't know if it will be a good idea to practice on a customers lawn.

Don't ask for an easier life; ask to be a stronger person...

203-856-5602
Old 05-03-2005, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure why someone would want to tear up an expensive mower doing something it's not designed to do. Rent the right machine or sub it out to someone who has one. The right tool for the job will save you money down the road.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Member

If it's just 7000 sqft, go buy a box scraper blade from agri-fab. They make them for lawn tractors or ATV's and small jobs like yours. Pulling it behind an 18hp lawn tractor is barely noticeable and works great. I bought one after renting a box blade plus a tractor to pull it and being that I did not need it enough, and that I wasn't ever grading more than 25000 sq ft, it seemed to make sense. Advantage is that it is durable, more manuverable, more economical, and does just as quality of a job as the bigger, heavier models. It is easy to pull with a good lawn tractor, ATV, etc. Disadvantages are it takes longer to grade compared to a bigger model. But I factored the 25% longer grading time with cost of renting one or buying one and a front end loader to use with it along with frequency of use and found this was my best option. I am very happy with it and use it on about 10-15 properties a year, with lawns ranging from 4000 sq ft to 25000 sq ft.

http://www.agri-fab.com/3pt45_0359.html

Matt