Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-20-2005, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cry to much

In the winter all's every one did is cry about it and say i cant wait for spring and summer its here !!! And now its to hot to long of days to this to that get an office job if you cant hack it we work 10 all year long booohooo
Old 04-20-2005, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsgottobegreen
If I could plow snow all year long. I rather do that than cut grass. Way more money and a lot less work.

But the smell of fresh cut grass is nice.
Me too...$200 an hour on average is nice $$$.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Im glad that the weather is warm and spring is here. Ill take this over winter!
Old 04-20-2005, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
Me too...$200 an hour on average is nice $$$.
I need to know what your doing right with snow, I make 65/hr plus 15cents per pound salt. I guess you must be running a couple of guys.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
In the winter all's every one did is cry about it and say i cant wait for spring and summer its here !!! And now its to hot to long of days to this to that get an office job if you cant hack it we work 10 all year long booohooo
At first, winter drove me nuts. I remodeled my house, I fixed about everything. Then I ran out of things to do. Got bored as hell. Then one day, I thought, "you know, I don't have to be anywhere, and I have nothing to do". After a few weeks of that, It got to be kind of nice. Then, like a freight train, spring was here. I'm carrying around about 15 extra pounds of winter fat, and working twelve hour days. I love what I do, and I've already lost about 10 lbs of winter fat, but, those days of sitting around are still fresh in my memory!!! But, Now I'm making the cash to sit back next winter. Bring it on. It's always hard the first month or so of spring, till you get used to it all, then it's a breeze.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonnau
At first, winter drove me nuts. I remodeled my house, I fixed about everything. Then I ran out of things to do. Got bored as hell. Then one day, I thought, "you know, I don't have to be anywhere, and I have nothing to do". After a few weeks of that, It got to be kind of nice. Then, like a freight train, spring was here. I'm carrying around about 15 extra pounds of winter fat, and working twelve hour days. I love what I do, and I've already lost about 10 lbs of winter fat, but, those days of sitting around are still fresh in my memory!!! But, Now I'm making the cash to sit back next winter. Bring it on. It's always hard the first month or so of spring, till you get used to it all, then it's a breeze.
Boy must be nice to not work in winter i would only make 4 months with spending cash if i didnt work in winter
Old 04-21-2005, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I need to know what your doing right with snow, I make 65/hr plus 15cents per pound salt. I guess you must be running a couple of guys.
I make $100 to $175 with a kubota B7500 series tractor. (thats a little tractor with a 5' plow and 4' snowblower) Get a bunch accounts close together and own the company. I also sub it out at $75 an hour for doing sidewalks to another company when I am done with my stuff. Being subs just doesn't pay enough, but not having the hassles that go with being the owner makes it worth it at times.

I got a friend that make over $1000 an hour with nothing more than a F-350w/blizzard 810 and a F-550w/blizzard 8611 working together plowing and spreading salt on parking lots.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous
Old 04-21-2005, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
$200 an hour per truck (last winter we ran 3) and that is with travel time...just have to know how to price your jobs is all.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
Boy must be nice to not work in winter i would only make 4 months with spending cash if i didnt work in winter
I did snow removal. Some weeks there was a lot to do, but we only got one really heavy snow. Usually it's just a dusting to 2 inches or so. I made some cash. But, towards the end of winter especially, there wasn't much going on.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
$200 an hour per truck (last winter we ran 3) and that is with travel time...just have to know how to price your jobs is all.
I could be making some serious mistakes with this. Am I way under bidding myself on this? I'm running a chevy 3500 dually with a 9 foot plow. I am using a tailgate spreader though, no v-box. We pay 7.5 cents per pound, and double the price to 15/pound to the customer. Yeah, It averages higher than 65 an hour when you add in the salt profit, but still, it's a far cry from 200.00. I myself only had one comercial account last year, but subbed to one of my friends who owns his own lco. I earned 60/hour, and half of the profit on salt. This year, I'm going to have a few of my own commercial accounts, so I'd like to do this right. Now that I think about it, a guy running a 9 ft. plow should earn more per hour than a guy running a 7.5 foot plow right?