Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2005, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My first employee

My first employee started about a week ago. Hes good and has four years experience and has always showed up and been on time until today. Normally he gets to my house at 7:30 but today I get a message at 6:00 saying hes sick and has to go to the doctor. I give him the benefit of the doubt although he didnt sound sick at all. Later on, 10:30 am I get another message, "I went to the doctor today and they took xrays of my stomach and concluded that I just have a bug, so I'll see you tommorrow at 7:30" Amazing!! 4 hours ago he was so sick the doctor actually felt like they needed xrays of his stomach now he says he just needs a little rest and will be fine for work by friday. What a joke, he gets one more chance, but I have a feeling he wont make it through the end of the month.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

HMMMMM how would an x-ray tell that he has a virus? Welcome to the wonderfull world of employees. Come to think of it I am feeling kinda sick.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Now that you're an employer you'll hear some good ones. The guys I have had usually just didn't show up. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt, at least he called.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promower
My first employee started about a week ago. Hes good and has four years experience and has always showed up and been on time until today. Normally he gets to my house at 7:30 but today I get a message at 6:00 saying hes sick and has to go to the doctor. I give him the benefit of the doubt although he didnt sound sick at all. Later on, 10:30 am I get another message, "I went to the doctor today and they took xrays of my stomach and concluded that I just have a bug, so I'll see you tommorrow at 7:30" Amazing!! 4 hours ago he was so sick the doctor actually felt like they needed xrays of his stomach now he says he just needs a little rest and will be fine for work by friday. What a joke, he gets one more chance, but I have a feeling he wont make it through the end of the month.
That is pretty pathetic. I think I would rather have an employee call me and say " something has come up and I need the day off", than lie to me about being sick.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Well at least he did call! Make sure you ask him how he is doing and what medication he is on to get rid of his virus
Old 04-21-2005, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him that you need a doctor's note. That ought to get him thinking!lol

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Promower,

From over 20 years of dealing with employees, I'll share my thoughts. Number 1, put a help wanted ad back in the paper. Odds are he had a job interview and doesn't want you to know. It was nice that he called, but his story is full of holes. and he probably lied to you and is looking for something else. Did you verify and check his references? Did he have a history of switching jobs? Was there unexplained gaps in his employement history?

I'm very skeptical when new hires get sick, usually the first month or so, good potential long term employees will not miss any work because they want to make a good impression.

Look him in the eyes, and casually ask how his doctors appointment went and what kind of virus he had. Ask him how many x-rays, etc. (just showing concern). If he can't look you in the eye, or looks to the left, that is usually a sign that someone is lying.

We just had a 10 day employee call in that his grandmother passed away. I know that typically evokes sympathy, but grandmothers usually don't die until weeks 4-6 of employement (somewhat joking). He needed to travel out of town for 1 day. He chose to go to calling hours and not the funeral, big red flag. On the day of his abscence, we get a call from a bank inquiring about his employment history in regard to him taking out a loan. We gave the loan officer the information. When asked about his attendence, we said today is the first day he has missed work, and he was going out of state for his grandmothers funeral. Since it was mid day, the loan officer said, very interesting, he is sitting outside my office right now. I doubt he got the loan and he is no longer employed with us.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

As a whole, this industry does not attract the best and brightest...it sucks, but you have to put up with a little BS now and then. I would just take his word for it and leave it alone, if he keeps calling in, let him go.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to have a policy that if you called off to go to the doctor, before you could return to work you need something in writting from the doctor saying you were healthy enough to work.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well to my surprise he showed up today right on time. On the way to the job he said it was an alcer and he has had problems before and complained that he was still not feeling well. Then it happened, he just starting yacking uncontrollably in my truck, he was shaking with tears in his eyes. I whipped around around and took him back to his truck, guess he wasnt lieing, which makes me feel good even though my truck looked like a bomb went off in it. Maybe this guy is a keeper, hope he feels better by monday Im starting to get behind in work.