Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2005, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Tree Pruning

I was just wondering for those of you who climb trees in addition to general landscaping. When climbing trees, do you generally charge more than if you do hardscaping, general maintenance, etc... (I am talking about hourly rates).
Gil
Old 04-22-2005, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't believe there are this many views and no responses? Might want to check your insurance to make sure you're covered for this type of work. People seem to pay tree care workers more than lawn people, but trees do not require weekly maintence. I have a friend thats a certified arborist. He uses bucket trucks and power pruners where ever he can to reduce the amount of climbing. Took him a long time to build up enough business to justify the equipment purchases. Right now he's only taking large jobs with lots of trees at one site to reduce windshield time. He deosn't work off an hourly rate, just guestaimates what the job is worth. Is this an area you're looking to go full time into? Maybe check out arborsite.com ?
Old 04-22-2005, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, we charge much more for tree work. Unless it is a little tree and you don't need to leave the ground.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

While I was 45' feet last weekend I thought I should charge more for that type of work. I am paying a fortune for my insurance so I'm thinking charging almost double rate.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you should get at least $100 per hour for climbing. I don't personally climb, but I have a friend who does. The danger for the climber and the risk for property damage is HUGE.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, as a foreman & than sales rep for a national tree care co., over 10 yrs ago I was getting $1350 for a 3 man crew doing basic pruneing, + $175-250 per cable. $75for a small girdleing root & $375+ if it was a major mess, $75-150 for cavity work,$200+for rod work [ avg rod job was $12-1500,$150 hr for liqued feeding, $75-90 for spraying $150 for IPM visits for properties 3-7000sqft..............Even now i charge $75 hr for ornamental pruneing,[ a minimum of $45hr for clean-up]...Speaking of insurance, mine says I'm covered in all aspects of tree care as long as "WE" are not tied to the "Roof". hope this is helpful
Old 04-23-2005, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks to all of you who replied. I have been charging $50 for tree pruning but while I was up in the tree I thought it was not worth the price. The risk is too high for that amount of money. I was thinking charging $90/h but I thought that was maybe to high.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

it sounds high untill you screw up.