Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-21-2005, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Best Areas in the country

From what you have heard, seen or work/have worked, what are the most profitable mowing areas in the country. And what tippically are the properties like? Rich people 4 acre estates or grannies front lawn. See unforunatly the erea I live in everybody takes care of there own lawn and there's no chance to get something over a 21" cut onto these properties. The good news is that they are mostly retired californian's that would probaly like there lawns hired out.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

best areas in the country...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Rider
From what you have heard, seen or work/have worked, what are the most profitable mowing areas in the country. And what tippically are the properties like? Rich people 4 acre estates or grannies front lawn. See unforunatly the erea I live in everybody takes care of there own lawn and there's no chance to get something over a 21" cut onto these properties. The good news is that they are mostly retired californian's that would probaly like there lawns hired out.
You mean, people actually live in Idaho ???
Old 04-23-2005, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why would someone from California (unless they grew up in East LA) retire to Idaho?
Old 04-23-2005, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The "most profitable mowing area" might also be an expensive place to live, so this is a trick question.
I don't get New York City prices, but I can keep a roof over my head a whole lot cheaper than up yonder.
I probably have higher prices than most people in Florida, and lower living expenses.

Crawdad
Old 04-23-2005, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
Why would someone from California (unless they grew up in East LA) retire to Idaho?
Apparently because Wyoming is getting full of californians' and east coasters'.

Don't know too much about Idaho except for the militia types there but, Wyoming has an excellent tax structure for business and corporations relocating here and no State Income Tax. The oil/gas/coal resources fund our State treasury to the hilt so we basically want for nothing.

We are having so many from CA moving here for retirement and "secondary" vacation homes it's unreal. In Wyoming specifically, the millionaires can no longer afford to move to Jackson Hole so they are coming to our side of the mountains. Maybe those Californians whom aren't millionaires yet go to Idaho???
Old 04-23-2005, 10:50 AM

We have alot of northern transplants and most come down here for the warmer climate and to SAVE money. And we are losing textile jobs by the 1000s(which lead to more people in lawncare) weekly. There is a good many wealthy and they sure know how to squeeze the dollar) So I would say this area sucks in the profitability department
Old 04-23-2005, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Hershey, lots of jobs from the factory and medical center, very good economy. From what I understand from talking to people in other areas we've got it pretty good.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceSprinkleRx
Apparently because Wyoming is getting full of californians' and east coasters'.

Don't know too much about Idaho except for the militia types there but, Wyoming has an excellent tax structure for business and corporations relocating here and no State Income Tax. The oil/gas/coal resources fund our State treasury to the hilt so we basically want for nothing.

We are having so many from CA moving here for retirement and "secondary" vacation homes it's unreal. In Wyoming specifically, the millionaires can no longer afford to move to Jackson Hole so they are coming to our side of the mountains. Maybe those Californians whom aren't millionaires yet go to Idaho???
Wyoming??? I don't want to sound harsh or critical but Wyoming or Idaho are way down on my list of places to retire to...in fact, they're NOT even on my list
Old 04-23-2005, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You would think Arizona would be good, year round grass to cut, lots of retirees. Just opposite. Lots of competition from illegals, and the retirees are cheap mostly. There are some with the big bucks but there is so much competition to get those accounts. The most profitable segment lately seems to be the Yupies. They work alot to pay for all their toys they never get to use so they hire out the housework and lawncare in hopes that maybe they can catch up. Seems that as they pay off a jet sji they never use, they buy a boat or Winebego they never use.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can tell you where some of the worst places are, and south Georgia is right at the top! Also from what I have read I think south Texas and Florida aint all that good either.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!