Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2000, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,<p>Just figured I mention a experiment I've been running at work for the last month.<p>Where I work is much like a industrial park and we have 3 or 4 diff't contractors who mow diff't complexes.<p>Our 'property' is somewhat mingled in between all the properties, and the property lines are somewhat vague.<p>So, heres what I do. When I mow my sections, I leave a strip of grass on the property line that I use to mow and see what happens. Sure enough, the other contractor comes in and mows it. Its great. So far, I've got 4 swaths to 'go over' to their side. Its great fun! At this rate, I figure they may be mowing the whole section by the end of the year.<p>Also, we have a lot of planting areas and what not on property lines. This too is a fun game. I installed a bed last year, that we are suppose to maintain, and got another company to edge it for me. They even started mulching it, but I guess their supervisor came and stopped them. Was funny, because only the 3 ft next to the edge was mulched and only for about 10 ft.<p>I've also had a few guys fertilize a few sections....thought that was very nice of them. Just plays havoc on my own fertilizer program. I have to be careful because once I didn't realize it and fertilized the same section twice in 2 weeks. That grass grew like crazy, and luckily didn't burn out. <p>Just seeing if any of you guys have any fun games you like to play. <p>steveair<p>(and oh ya, when fall comes, I love blowing the leave game. One contractor caught on I was my leaves on his property and he blew them right back. I of course, to keep entertained, blew them right back. I think those leaves moved about 3 times back and forth before I gave in and picked them up.)<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: steveair
Old 05-08-2000, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's pretty funny!If I where the contractor mowing next to you and you pulled that leaf idea on me,I would have sucked up all those leafs and made one big pile on your side!!!!Boy you would have a hard time moving a 5ft high pile back over!!!!!!<p><p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 05-08-2000, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

AB,<p>That pile would make me laugh if you did that. What would make me laugh even more, is I would grab one of our 190 hp runway blower/brooms and blow the pile of leafs right back at you in about 30 seconds and then sit and wait for the expression on your face when you came back and saw all those leafs blown all across your lawn again. <p>I always believe the contractor with the biggest equip wins the game, and we have a arsenal.<p>steveair<p>PS - I would be nice enough to remove them for you though, would be worth it just for the expression. <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: steveair
Old 05-08-2000, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey steveair!<p>Good idea!Buy if you really wanted to get into it I could load up all those leafs and dump them in your driveway or front lawn.LOL!!!Its a good thing we are not in the same city!Hey get sevral contracters to gang up on a low-baller and dump one huge pile on!That would raise his prices!!!!!<p><p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 05-08-2000, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

AB,<p>LOL<p>wish you were in the same city. This could be the start of very fun year. During the winter, I could get out the 20 ft plow and bury the entrance way to the account. Ever try pushing through a 8 ft high windrow! <p>steveair<p>