Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2001, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Are you guys incorporating liquid and/or granular apps in your programs?

We have been subbing out our fert. program to a local co for the past few years, but have decided to set up and apply the programs ourselves for the first time. I am leaning twards an all granular program for this year.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be a help.

Andy

www.admservices.com
Old 02-16-2001, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I perfer granular myself. The only liquid I use is for weed control. I have a Perma-Green sprayer attached to my spreader. Works great. Look through some past threads, I know this discussion has come up before.

Scott
Old 02-17-2001, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

permagreen spreader sprayer

I have been useing granular for about five years now. Before that I used all liquid but can have problems with liquid fert. like volitization if not watered in soon after app. also storage. What I used to do was buy water soluble fert and ad slow release liquid nitrgen. This did help with storage, no need for large storage tanks just 55 gal drums of Nitro 30.

Granular programs are made easy especially with a Perma Green Ride on spreader sprayer. I don't even want to use a push spreader anymore. This machine will cut your app time in half.
Old 02-18-2001, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

offering fertilizer services

andy i would reccommend that you continue to sub this service out to someone that knows this end of the business. i myself have been in the business for 15 yrs and both myself and my other applicator are graduates of michigan state university's turf and landscape program. we work with alot of landscape companies in the area and do just this speciality end of the business both lawn and tree applications. Unless you have a highly qualified person on staff such as us i would really shy away from this part of the business. it can be great money but also with state & federal Regulations it can also make alot of headaches if your just doing it as another service. Both myself and jeff would be more then will to meet with you and explain what we have to offer that most other companies don't and if you decide to do it yourself good luck. later
mike
Turf Pro inc.
734-699-0010
Old 02-19-2001, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

so far i have decided to concentrate on the granular applications. From what i understand it is a better program overall, and less hassel then the liquid.

Mike, i would like to talk to you about what you have to offer. Honestly, i am not thrilled about personally handling this service, but i have been getting complaints about the applicator we are currently using and the lawns just don't look a good as they should.

andy

www.admservices.com
Old 02-19-2001, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow I just logged on to ask exact same question. we decided to use the andersons granular fert. but am concerned about the performance of a graular herbicide do they actually work as well as the liquid formulations?
Old 02-19-2001, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Granular weed & feed work IF you apply it when the lawn is wet and IF you don't get any rain for a couple of days. I prefer liquid for the weed control. Otherwise, everything else we apply is granular.
Check out http://www.ride-onspreader.com
I have their equipment and it is quality stuff and easy to use.
Scott
Old 02-19-2001, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Member

that ride-on is one of the applicators we are looking into. the adds make it look like a useful peice of equipment. any have you had any trouble with yours? how about price , are they reasonable?
Old 02-19-2001, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is a useful and I love mine. It is well built and easy to maintain. It works just as they advertise. It costs $4250.00, but considering that a turf-tracker is $13,000, it's really not that bad. I also have one of their M60 kits on an Earthway spreader; it also works well and I have had no problems with either piece. The M60 kit costs $350.00
Scott
Old 02-20-2001, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

how about post emergent? what does everyone use . I'm looking to use trimec I don't have any experience with these products , it's difficult making a decision what to use based on advertising alone every bodies products are the greatest just ask them LOL