Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-08-2000, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have found we talk alot about nasty clients,But do any of you have any neighbours that are hard do deal with or just plain nuts?I do!We blow snow for a lady and there is this old lady that lives next door that is NUTS!Becouse we live close to this job we do it early on the route.At about 3:00 am.It started last year we would blow the driveway and you would see the lady waching our every move.We all have people like this, but the difference is that this lady would be waiting every time a 3:00 am for us!We thought that was pretty funny.Then a while later we hear that she claims that we knocked a vent pipe off her house when we where blowing.We knew we did not do it becouse we don't take the machine close to her house.It turned out later that the vent in question was behind her house!That means that the snow would have had to travled out of the blower between the 2 houses and make a sharp left turn and hit her vent with the force to blow it off!!!Thats not all!This year that same thing was happening,she was doing her same routine.Then she started shoveling her driveway and our clients before we could get there!We agian did not get angry,We though it was funny.We would take the blower off and do it any way!We did not do much just make noise!I think this really got her angry!One day we came there and she tryed to stop my partner by standing in front of the driveway!Well my partner just gunned our walker full speed.I guess you could say it was a game of chicken!Lucky for her she decided to move.We just continued to work.I have too many storys about her to list,Hey maby I could write a novel!I could call it Nut Next Door.It would be a best seller!Anyone else have a story or storys about neighbours?<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care<p><br>&lt;font size=&quot;1&quot;&gt;Edited by: AB Lawn Care<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: AB Lawn Care
Old 05-08-2000, 05:00 PM
snow

Well, I think your story tops all of mine. I have a lot of very picky customers. So, last week i got to cut a customers lawn. She had planted grass on the side of her house. After i finished cutting, I started to trim the spots where she had planted grass seed because she just put it on bare spots, there was LONG grass there already. So as I'm trimming those long spots and standing on some dirt that didn't have ANY grass seed on it, she tells me to stop stepping on the grass seed! I had to pause my minidisc player and listen to her complain. She also complains about my price, even though I am less expensive than her previous company! If she didn't live on my street I would've told her to find someone else, but she lives 2 houses away and i can cut it any day.<br>*I know people have more stories about nutty customers!<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 05-08-2000, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

snow-I have alot of people freak out when the plant grass seed too.I think some will never realize that we know what not to do grass seed is on the ground.<p>Anyone else have any neighbours that are nuts!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 05-08-2000, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

YOU START BLOWING SNOW AT 3:00 AM??????<br>I THINK I'D COME OUT TOO!<br>MAN, I'M GLAD IT DON'T SNOW HERE!<br>HOMER
Old 05-08-2000, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

In the mowing business we have lost way more customers due to their neighbors than customers themselves. You have a few minutes every week to prove how good you do your job. The neighbor has all week to change the customers mind. If the neighbor doesn't like you for whatever reason, and they also have a lot of influence on your client...you got a handlful.
Old 05-08-2000, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I`ve got a million stories like this but i must say that most people with wacky neighbors are well aware of how stupid these people are and I`ve never lost a customer because of a neighbor. I was doing a leaf clean-up last season during a very windy day.<br>In our city you can pile them in the street and the city comes by to suck them up. I was just finishing up when a gust of wind blew a small pile onto the neighbors lawn. This lady comes out screaming she was going to call the city. I told <br>her if she was to ask for my friend and she stormed into her house. Sure as hell about a half hour later my buddy pulls up in the truck sees me and I tell him whats goin on. Soon afterward nutcase comes out of her house losing her mind while we`re just laughing at her. Apparantly this person has magical trees that drop all the leaves exactly on her property. Can you imagine what these people would do if they had a real problem to deal with?
Old 05-08-2000, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my best customers had a neighbor slap her in the face. The cops came the next day and everything. This was over some crap and not my work but get this. This spring my customer and her slap happy neighbor go around the neighborhood and are looking at lawns and my customer actually listened to the fact that the slapper thought she knew more about lawns than I do. Maybe I need to slap some of my customers around and then they will listen to me. LOL
Old 05-08-2000, 10:29 PM

Only neighbor we've had problems with has been with snow plowing. Two houses with the mailboxes set directly across from each others driveway. We plow one, the guy across the street blows his own. Neighbors mailbox falls right in the blind spot as you back out of the drive we plow. One storm, two years ago, WHACK!, broke the post. No big deal, we screwed some boards around the stub for a temporary patch and went back in the spring and planted a new post for them. The next year they tried to hit us up for a new mailbox, blamed us for the jam in the side that appeared after a storm. Guy says he's an insomniac and is up all night and watched my son back into his mailbox. Can't explain why with us backing towards the door end of the box we put a dent in the SIDE. Just happens to be the side that the town plow approaches from,, imagine that. The town won't do anything about replacing mailboxes they hit because the box is in the right-of-way of the road. Guy got really pissed when my son told him to pound sand.
Old 05-08-2000, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a neighbour who lives directly across the street from me. I fired her last week, because she was just a pain in the butt. She wants me to cut her grass whenever she calls.<br>Usually the next day. But the funny part is, she calls like every five weeks.By this time the grass is like a jungle. When she called the last time,I told her I was busy and I couldn't cut it for another week. I also pointed out to her that I can't cut her grass for the same money. She was mad as hell.<br>She got someone to cut it three days later. My wife told me,the guy had a 21&quot; mower and he had a kid with him. He did a fair job, but he cut it way to short. The grass went into shock. So you know how it looks.
Old 05-08-2000, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

homer-Actually I start at 2:00 am!I get there at 3:00 am.Everyonr here starts at about that time in the morning.I try to find clients that don't mind me being there early in the morning.That is one of the hard parts about snow removal,all most every one wants out by 8:00-10:00 am.So you have to get up pretty early in the morning to make any $$$.<p>gus-leaf cleanups and neighbours don't mix on windy days lol!!!!!!<p>barkleymut-Just what kind of pills are these ladys poping?????<p>Alan-That guy sounds like the nut I was talking about!Hey maby all of us are the nuts and those 2 are the only sane people on the earth.Hey is he single?Maby my nut is looking for a companion!!!Think of it!Two people waching you plow early in the morning!That would = two claims of damage that where impossible!!!LOL!!!!<p>miquel-That is the worst people who want you to cut the lawn when it hits knee level and then think they are getting ripped off if you charge more becouse of it!<p>----------<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care