Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2005, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

19hp kawasaki problem

Hello all,
I have a bobcat mower with a fh601v 19hp kawasaki, actually 2 of them, and am having a problem with one. Motor cranks fine, getting fuel through the fuel pump, but it wont run unless I dump gas down the carb. I took carb off, took float bowl apart, cleaned out fuel inlet and blew out main jets, looked clean. I assume gas is getting in carb because if I loosen the drain screw at bottom of carb gas runs out. I checked the electrical fuel shut off solenoid and it funstions. I even swapped carb off other mower and it does the same thing. Now I am really stumped!! any takers on this one?

thanks
Jeff
Old 04-24-2005, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like you have a bad fuel pump. To test it take the fuel line loose from the carburetor and crank the engine. Fuel should flow out of the line. if it doesn't you either have a bad fuel pump or a clogged fuel line of filter. Also if no fuel flows out check to be sure the vaccum line that goes to the fuel pump is connected and doesn't have any holes in it.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

checked gas flow and I have good flow after the pump. checked compression, with in the specs. Vent holes are all clear. I am stumped!!
thanks
jeff
Old 04-25-2005, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe the choke isn't working properly.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

well i did some more ivenstigating and checked the vacuum line from valvecover and not cracked and tight. I put a clear hose from a gas can and hooked to fuel pump. If I unhook fuel line on carb side of pump it primes itself and pumps fuel. If all lines are hooked up It wont pull a prime from gas can. HMMM! What the heck is up with that???? Pulled carb apart again and made sure inlet was clear. You can blow air from inlet line and comes out drip hole so I am assuming neadle and seat are still clean. so I am going back to the fuel pump just being weak and it wont work with line hooked up to carb. Any thoughts on this one??

thanks
jeff
Old 04-25-2005, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The fuel pump is definately weak then but whats causing it? Its got to be either just a bad pump or its not getting enough vacum. I say just take a chance and get a new pump.