Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2005, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Customer not happy with mulch?

Hi,
I have a customer (well now ex-customer) that wanted a mulch job done on the front beds of her house. She told me that she didnt want anthing with big chips in the mulch because the color fades fast. She also said she didnt want mulch in the bags because someone told her there were lots of bugs in them. I told her that I can get her a triple processed mulch that I use pretty often and it is really shredded looking. She told me just to use my judgement because she wont be home. Anyways I go to the local mulch place that makes there mulch from all the residents and commercial drop-offs of sticks, leaves and grass. Well, I finish the job and I think it looks great. She calls me later and said she cannot believe how bad the mulch smells and it looks like dirt instead of mulch, and then she said she would no longer need my service and hung up on me. Oh, plus she already hired someone else to come out and put another kind of mulch over it to cover up the smell. Do I still bill her the full bill? I offered to show her the mulch first and she said dont worry about it. I use this mulch on my own house and I think it looks great. It does have a freshly made mulch smell, but it goes away after a few days. To sum this up she is a PITA. What would you guys do?

Lasher
3- 36" walk behinds
16'X8' trailer
3 Stihl FS100 weedwackers,
2 echo PB-650 backpack blowers,
1 Little Wonder 11hp blower.
Lesco walk behind Aerator
Old 04-24-2005, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bill her dumb azz for the whole amount. It is not your fault, she told you to use your judgement and you did as she said. If you use it at your own house then it must be pretty decent.

Bottom line is collect the WHOLE amount of the bill from her and smile as you are walking away knowing that you have made a spot in you schedule for a customer that will appreciate your work and NOT be a PITA.

Good luck collecting
Old 04-24-2005, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilla Gorilla
Bill her dumb azz for the whole amount. It is not your fault, she told you to use your judgement and you did as she said. If you use it at your own house then it must be pretty decent.

Bottom line is collect the WHOLE amount of the bill from her and smile as you are walking away knowing that you have made a spot in you schedule for a customer that will appreciate your work and NOT be a PITA.

Good luck collecting
I agree bill full billing, or go repossess it!
rake off the new, fork out yours and leave the mess.
why give her a free base.
ok, maybe resrpead the other mulch, bad for the reputation to leave the mess.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mulch

I got in the habit of bagging all the mulch I use, meaning i have small amounts of mulch, labeled with the name and placed in small zip lock bags....give it to the customer and let them keep the "samples"...they let me know which one and I go from there, works so far.....
Old 04-24-2005, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Martinez
I got in the habit of bagging all the mulch I use, meaning i have small amounts of mulch, labeled with the name and placed in small zip lock bags....give it to the customer and let them keep the "samples"...they let me know which one and I go from there, works so far.....
I like that idea, think I'll try it.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Martinez
Thats a pretty good idea Martinez. It's true what they say, you learn something new everyday.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you can always get in trouble with "use your own judgment" calls I also use samples to show my cust's first.I would think that the mulch you used would have a better chance of bugs in it than anything else.You did the work as agreed and you should be paid in full .Remind her that she gave you free hand to use the mulch you wanted and that the smell will go away in a few days.Personaly,I never put a mulch that had any kind of smell in it on a custs yard.That's just asking for trouble.Unless it smells like bark.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumper1620
I agree bill full billing, or go repossess it!
rake off the new, fork out yours and leave the mess.
why give her a free base.
ok, maybe resrpead the other mulch, bad for the reputation to leave the mess.
I disgree with any further labor involved in reposessing it. His job is done, time to collect
Old 04-24-2005, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjslawncare/landscap
I disgree with any further labor involved in reposessing it. His job is done, time to collect
I agree,
But if collecting fails he does have the right to go reposses what he rightfully owns. I would think he still has a reciept to prove that along with a unpaid bill.
then again a lien works too.
I just have a feeling she will not be to willing to pay.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

get half up front next time........

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama