Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2005, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Need help on a decision, which mower would you sell?

I need help trying to decide which way to go with this. I put my 737 in the paper and the phone has rang off the hook. I just had a guy to call about it and said he was really wanting a 48 inch deck. I then told him I had a 717 but had not really considered selling it since I use it more than the 737. I told him 4500 for the 717 and 6300 for the 737 (wished I would had asked more). Now a new 717 would cost about what Im selling the 737 for, my 717 has 450 hours on it and is in the shop (3 weeks) getting a new engine. The warranty expired on it last week while in the shop. The 737 still has one year and 4 months warranty left on it. I use both of them in the summer about 50/50 for mowing and mulching with the 717 and bagging with the 737. It is a PITA to take the mulcher off the 717 so I leave it on all the time. In the winter use the 717 about 90% of the time. I know the smart thing to do would be to sell the 717 and keep the 737 but on my small(what I have left now) the 717 is my main mower. There is only 2 grand difference in the selling price. Im thinking about letting the 717 go, I may regret it but I just cant justify 2 commercial ZTR with what few accounts I have left. I may sell one and pick up 15 new accounts this week (NOT) and need both but dont think thats going to happen. BTW, I called the dealer that I bought both from and those things had gone up a lot! Both were a grand more than I paid for them. It would cost me it the high sevens to replace the 737 and mid 6s to replace the 717. Just wanted comments. Right now 2 grand to me is just like 20 grand!
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I would ask if you owe anything on these mowers? If the answer is yes, and you don't feel you have the initiative to go get those 15 additional accounts you are talking about to replace your lost accounts, then yes, sell it. But, I would also ask why you are losing accounts in your opinion? If the mowers are paid for, and you DO have the drive to get those accounts back, then I would say your $ 10,000 or so in mowers, are worth $100.00 in comparison to $2,000 being like $20,000. Personally I would keep the mowers and get back on the horse. Thats just my $ 2.00 worth.
Good Luck

If it's running, it's cutting!

And Yes, Licensed and Certified...
Old 04-27-2005, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

why are you losing acounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reliable Lawn Care
I would ask if you owe anything on these mowers? If the answer is yes, and you don't feel you have the initiative to go get those 15 additional accounts you are talking about to replace your lost accounts, then yes, sell it. But, I would also ask why you are losing accounts in your opinion? If the mowers are paid for, and you DO have the drive to get those accounts back, then I would say your $ 10,000 or so in mowers, are worth $100.00 in comparison to $2,000 being like $20,000. Personally I would keep the mowers and get back on the horse. Thats just my $ 2.00 worth.
Good Luck
They are called lowballers, all these new folks with their new crafstman and Bolens.. plain and simple. Im one I lost today was to one of them even though she did not say that.
echo hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Old 04-27-2005, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityLawnCare4u
They are called lowballers, all these new folks with their new crafstman and Bolens.. plain and simple. Im one I lost today was to one of them even though she did not say that.
BTW, I have as much initiative as anyone on this board. When you have tried EVERYTHING short of begging or running and ad :I will cut any size yard for 15 dollars: there is nothing left. We have enough LCO here now to cover the area many times over.
echo hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Old 04-27-2005, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sell

Sell the one you never use, i am thinking of dumping my 36", I can handle what i have with both 21"'s...maybe as i grow I will get a ZTR or something along that line....sell the one that is not making you any money...hang in there!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Then I would do what you need to do to keep afloat, but with what you are saying, I think those accounts taken by "low ballers" will want you back sooner than you think after they realized you were worth every penny and a dependable service. I was not knocking you, just trying to get some fire in your eyes so you do not give up!
Best of Luck

If it's running, it's cutting!

And Yes, Licensed and Certified...
Old 04-28-2005, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

If both mowers are paid for i would sell both and buy back a brand new 717 and then you have full warranty

01' F-150 super crew
(2) HUSTLER SUPER Z'S 60 INCH
(1) HUSTLER SUPER MINI 52 INCH
(3) RED MAX WEED EATERS
(2) REDMAX EDGERS
(2) REDMAX BACKPACK BLOWERS
(2) REDMAX HEDGE CLIPPERS
(1) ECHO CHAINSAW
24 FOOT COVERED TRAILER
Old 04-28-2005, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lawn Ranger
If both mowers are paid for i would sell both and buy back a brand new 717 and then you have full warranty
The 717 is paid for, the 737 is not. The warranty just expired on the 717 (has a brand new engine) and the 737 still has a year and 4 months warranty left. Only thing about it I have several people wanting the 717 and the difference in price is only 1800 bucks! The 717 has 491 hours on the mower and the 737 has 79 hours. I have about decided to try a little longer to hold on to both till the end of summer. I have 3 people wanting either one right now and have the cash. One guy wanted to trade me a grasshopper plus cash for either one. I actually like the 717 a little better but keep thinking for only 1800 more I get a bigger mower with a warranty. If I had just a few more accounts would be a no brainer.
echo hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado