Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-28-2005, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
They make a lot more begging at a busy intersection. He didn't want food, he wanted money without work. That's why you shouldn't bash the guy with a 21" murray in the back of his K-car. At least he is working.
or the teens trying to do their best @ cutting grass & making $$ at least their trying their d*mnest instead of slingin rocks or selling grass..... they want an ethical job that they can do besides mc donalds @ $6.5 an hr.

cutting grass is a good job to be in if your carry your business out correctly in a ethenical manner (taxes, ect.).

eitherway, i rather see a scrub cut grass by any means he has to do in order to make money then break into my house or sell crack to my future kids in 2018
Old 04-28-2005, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=A+ Lawncare]or the teens trying to do their best @ cutting grass & making $$ at least their trying their d*mnest instead of slingin rocks or selling grass... QUOTE]

I slung a few rocks last week.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnBrother
Ok, this is the stupidist call I have gotten so far this year:

Caller: "Hello, I got your number from a flyer. My name is Ms. Numbskull and I need some work done in my yard."
Me: "Sure, I would be glad to. What exactly do you need done?"
Caller: "Well, I'm not sure really. I think I just need my deck squared off, do you do that?"
Me: "Um, well, I have several ways to go about it. What size lawn mower do you think I should use on it?"
Caller: "No, no, You don't understand, I don't need my grass cut. I need my deck squared off"
Me: "Ok, then why didn't you call a carpenter??"
Caller: "I just thought...oh never mind. Goodbye."
Me: "GOODBYE."

Man, what is the matter with some people??
What are some of the stupidist calls you guys have had? I'm sure there are some better (worse) ones than this, although I'm still reeling from it....
Tell her to call me. I have a chainsaw that will square that deck up in a heartbeat!!!

How in the world did this turn into a scrub post?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+ Lawncare
A proper LCO is not an jack arse of all trades, but rather a person who focuses in 1 thing to perfection.... we perfect ourselves on grass cutting and landscaping not carpentry.
so what your saying is im not a proper LCO. I dont think that is a very nice thing to say. I am basicly a jack of all trades, and do alot of very different jobs/trades. so far this year, since spring , i have done two brick patios , a small deck , repaired three trucks for a local company , and am currently doing a $5000(labor only) tile job. after this i have another patio/retaining wall/planting job , then a full kitchen remodel and two 400sq ft decks.

Im not trying to sound kool or anything but i do very nice work no matter what the job is. all my work comes from referalls, no advertising at all, these people have seen my work some where and want me to do what ever they need done.

Does this mean im just a jack a** running around steeling every one elses work cause i do more than one thing. My price isnt always the lowest either. I am a registered company, buiss. insurance for remodeling and landscaping, two trucks and trailers, and about $30,000 in tools and equipment. I also work solo and everything i have is paid for. but from your coment(which really bothers me) im just a scrub.............Bryan
Old 04-29-2005, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is sort of what I was going to get at. To Lawnbrother, what is the name of your business? Is it addreswsed with a "Landscape" or "Landscaping" and lawn maintenance?
For many, decks fall under the realm of landscaping. There are MANY landscapers that build decks along with doing hardscapes and patios. We have done decks in the past on renovations and complete installations. It's all part of the package. We have also subbed out this sort of thing, as well, but I was just using that as an example of my point. It is completely understandable for someone to inquire about deck work with a landscape company.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Runner...

The name of my company is Lawn Brothers. My flyer looks very professional and only offers services related to lawn care, no landscaping of any kind. Although I must admit, it never occured to me that carpentry work of that type could be related to landscaping, so I see your point in that respect. I think this lady just figured I was some sort of jack of all trades who would give her a cheaper price than a carpenter. I got a good laugh out of it anyway, I was hoping yall would too!
What I really wanted from this thread was to hear about some more stupid phone calls!!
Old 04-29-2005, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My mother-in-law called the other day to invite herself over for a week. That was pretty stupid.

Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

decks, arbors, trellises, and gazebos can all fall under landscaping.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault
My mother-in-law called the other day to invite herself over for a week. That was pretty stupid.

Now this sounds like something Bobby would say! LOL
Where's he at,..I'm sure he has a call or two he could share with us!

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+ Lawncare
or the teens trying to do their best @ cutting grass & making $$ at least their trying their d*mnest instead of slingin rocks or selling grass..... they want an ethical job that they can do besides mc donalds @ $6.5 an hr.

cutting grass is a good job to be in if your carry your business out correctly in a ethenical manner (taxes, ect.).

eitherway, i rather see a scrub cut grass by any means he has to do in order to make money then break into my house or sell crack to my future kids in 2018
in another forum you mentioned you wanted to do this under the table. not paying taxes what gives man?