Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-11-2005, 11:38 PM
tinman's Avatar
tinman tinman is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ga
Posts: 1,348
One guy...did a 1 timer on his F'd up yard last year..... Wash his neighbor's house a month or so ago & the wife wanted a quote. Gave one..never heard back.

did another neighbor's lawn a few weeks ago & they wanted a price for their back yard (2 ft high) . Told them to get someone to bushhog it as I did not want to tear up my mower. Or find a nut to mow it ("like me last year" , I told the wife). She said yeah my husband was afraid to mow with his for fear of "hitting something".... OK to let Lawn guy destroy his stuff though.

Anyway someone evidently bushhogged it or mowed it ,,about 3 weeks ago. He calls & leaves a message to call him about the back yard again. Just erased that message. I hate giving prices over & over again. Especially to folks who will not keep their yard or home in shape. I can understand not being able to afford some services...but quit being so lazy & cut your own grass. I'd be ashamed if I let my lawn look like a pasture.
__________________
Follow Me on twitter
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-11-2005, 11:55 PM
LawnScapes of P-Town LawnScapes of P-Town is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 98
i had a guy call and say

him- i got your flier and i was needing some work done
me- yes sir what type of work do you need done?
him- i have this fence that i want taken out completely, even the concrete posts removed, COMPLETELY
me- well sir i think that you have called the wrong number for this sort of job
him- well on your flier is says storm cleanups?
me- yes but how does that relate to the removal of a fence?
him- uhhhh idk
me- well i might know someone for you to call

so i refered it to a friend and that was the end of that guy
__________________
"Beautiful landscaping begins where nature leaves off."
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Smalltimer1's Avatar
Smalltimer1 Smalltimer1 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC area
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman
did another neighbor's lawn a few weeks ago & they wanted a price for their back yard (2 ft high) . Told them to get someone to bushhog it as I did not want to tear up my mower. Or find a nut to mow it ("like me last year" , I told the wife). She said yeah my husband was afraid to mow with his for fear of "hitting something".... OK to let Lawn guy destroy his stuff though.

Anyway someone evidently bushhogged it or mowed it ,,about 3 weeks ago. He calls & leaves a message to call him about the back yard again. Just erased that message. I hate giving prices over & over again. Especially to folks who will not keep their yard or home in shape. I can understand not being able to afford some services...but quit being so lazy & cut your own grass. I'd be ashamed if I let my lawn look like a pasture.
That would be a case where I'd rent my father's Billy Goat brushcutter and make some quick $$$ and then come back and double my money on the JD to give it a somewhat decent finish.
__________________

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-12-2005, 12:13 AM
sheshovel's Avatar
sheshovel sheshovel is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: zone 7 CA
Posts: 5,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko
It seems most of the low price guys advertisements go like this:

You determine your mowing price!!!
Quality work, references, and Insured for your protection!
Mowing, aeration/power raking, seeding, mulch, bush work
snow removal, gutters cleaned, dog poop service, power washing
windows cleaned, holiday lighting, dog walking, pet sitting, brickwork,
patios, walkways, walls, garden soil turning, cleanups, cars washed
oil changes, tree work, pools cleaned, fence repair, ponds, rock work
stone work, lawn rolling, scalping, deck squaring, and deck installations. Call for a free estimate today!!!!!

He probably thought since you mowed, you also did deck work.
Well lemmie tell ya something Mr.Marko who are you to say whats neccesary or not to do for a customer and to make a buck?
I'm a Landscaper but when I first started out I did most of those things and more. . if that's what my cust needed done I did it wadda ya gonna do let them line somebody elses pockets?
I've ripped out old lawns and installed new ones both sod and seed,
Iv'e
rottotilled,pruned,mowed,mulched,cleaned gutters,powerwashed decks,repaired decks,aeriated,did clean-ups and lots of them,Tree work,rolling,walkways and pathways,washed and detailed-out several clients cars and got paid well for it too, Iv'e housesat with dogsitting at same time,
SO WHat? :blob3:
Does that make me a scrub?No it makes me much more informed,versatile,and well rounded in my knowlage,it makes me adaptible,and it allowed me to please my clients and get paid when some are sitting around waiting for the phone to ring,or waiting for the weather to change,
I was making money and good money at that.How would you like to stay in a totaly cool million dollar home overlooking a beutifull lake and get to use the jacuzzie,have meals free and feed a tiny dog twice a day,get paid for that plus get paid for doing a garden project at the place too while your there?
I mean who's gonna say no to that?A one week stay if you rent a place at that lake goes for $1700.00 to 2000.00
I stayed for free plus GOT paid for it too.

Everybody else?Sitting at home watching it snow and not making a dime.So how stupid do you really think I am??I'm proud to be a Janeof-all trades,though I am exclusive now,it sure never hurt me before.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Smalltimer1's Avatar
Smalltimer1 Smalltimer1 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC area
Posts: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Well lemmie tell ya something Mr.Marko who are you to say whats neccesary or not to do for a customer and to make a buck?
I'm a Landscaper but when I first started out I did most of those things and more. . if that's what my cust needed done I did it wadda ya gonna do let them line somebody elses pockets?
I've ripped out old lawns and installed new ones both sod and seed,
Iv'e
rottotilled,pruned,mowed,mulched,cleaned gutters,powerwashed decks,repaired decks,aeriated,did clean-ups and lots of them,Tree work,rolling,walkways and pathways,washed and detailed-out several clients cars and got paid well for it too, Iv'e housesat with dogsitting at same time,
SO WHat? :blob3:
Does that make me a scrub?No it makes me much more informed,versatile,and well rounded in my knowlage,it makes me adaptible,and it allowed me to please my clients and get paid when some are sitting around waiting for the phone to ring,or waiting for the weather to change,
I was making money and good money at that.How would you like to stay in a totaly cool million dollar home overlooking a beutifull lake and get to use the jacuzzie,have meals free and feed a tiny dog twice a day,get paid for that plus get paid for doing a garden project at the place too while your there?
I mean who's gonna say no to that?A one week stay if you rent a place at that lake goes for $1700.00 to 2000.00
I stayed for free plus GOT paid for it too.

Everybody else?Sitting at home watching it snow and not making a dime.So how stupid do you really think I am??I'm proud to be a Janeof-all trades,though I am exclusive now,it sure never hurt me before.
I agree.....if I know I possess the skills to do a task and the opportunity arises to make money from using them I'm gonna do it.

I never think I'm too good for any job, well maybe garbage collection and sewer maintenance.
__________________

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
sheshovel's Avatar
sheshovel sheshovel is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: zone 7 CA
Posts: 5,120
Yea I draw the line at dog dodo and won't do house cleaning,no windows thankyou
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Triple R's Avatar
Triple R Triple R is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: zone 8 in CA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Well lemmie tell ya something Mr.Marko who are you to say whats neccesary or not to do for a customer and to make a buck?
I'm a Landscaper but when I first started out I did most of those things and more. . if that's what my cust needed done I did it wadda ya gonna do let them line somebody elses pockets?
I've ripped out old lawns and installed new ones both sod and seed,
Iv'e
rottotilled,pruned,mowed,mulched,cleaned gutters,powerwashed decks,repaired decks,aeriated,did clean-ups and lots of them,Tree work,rolling,walkways and pathways,washed and detailed-out several clients cars and got paid well for it too, Iv'e housesat with dogsitting at same time,
SO WHat? :blob3:
Does that make me a scrub?No it makes me much more informed,versatile,and well rounded in my knowlage,it makes me adaptible,and it allowed me to please my clients and get paid when some are sitting around waiting for the phone to ring,or waiting for the weather to change,
I was making money and good money at that.How would you like to stay in a totaly cool million dollar home overlooking a beutifull lake and get to use the jacuzzie,have meals free and feed a tiny dog twice a day,get paid for that plus get paid for doing a garden project at the place too while your there?
I mean who's gonna say no to that?A one week stay if you rent a place at that lake goes for $1700.00 to 2000.00
I stayed for free plus GOT paid for it too.

Everybody else?Sitting at home watching it snow and not making a dime.So how stupid do you really think I am??I'm proud to be a Janeof-all trades,though I am exclusive now,it sure never hurt me before.

Sound like one of those money is no object clients I wish I had more of. What ever they want I will provide, either myself or sub out and bill accordingly best of all they don't ask how much it's always "what ever it is just bill me"


Stupidest phone call I received

me: hello (I ussually don't answer this way)
caller: do you guys mow lawns?
me: yeah
caller: are you hiring right now?
me: no
click



I should mention this call was at 2 a.m.
Should I have hired him?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-14-2005, 12:13 AM
mtdman's Avatar
mtdman mtdman is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: A2, Michigan
Posts: 3,124
Jack of all trades, master of none. When you do "anything to make a buck" that's exactly what you are doing, making a buck, but not necessarily doing it well. When you do one thing, and do it well, you are making a profession. Would you hire the same guy that mows lawns, builds fences, cleans gutters to do your plumbing? I wouldn't. I'd hire a professional plumber. When trying to bring respectibility and legitimacy to the green industry, it's hard to do so when someone who does anything to make a buck calls himself a green industry professional.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-14-2005, 12:54 AM
sheshovel's Avatar
sheshovel sheshovel is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: zone 7 CA
Posts: 5,120
Not true,everything I dofor money,
I do well,or I do it tell I do it well.I am a green industry professional,I do professional Landscaping for a living,
have built my business from nothing with a few tools and my own two hands.I am one of those people who can do MORE THAN ONE THING and do them very well,
when I mowed ,I mowed well and educated myself before I started,I never mowed to the degree alot of you have,but I had some crappy lawns that I turned into great lawns,I can spot a problem and tell you if it's environmental,or disease related.
I can grow a new lawn from seed that will make your neighbors green with envy.I can also install the irrigation system for it,install a timer for it and show you how to work it after I am gone.
You won't have to hire a drainage professional,a grading professional,an electrician and a irrigation professional to get your lawn installed cuz I do all those things very well.
As far as being respected as a professional in my community,I have a list of over 100 satisfied and happy clients on my ref list you can call before you hire me who all consider me very professional. So you tell me why a person can only do one thing and do it well?
I used to ride my horses and did that well,trained my dogs and did that well,I drive well. no tickets or accidents in over twenty years.(knock on wood!)
My point is not to sing my own praises but to say that I for one, believe that people can do many things and do them professionaly and very well.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-14-2005, 01:06 AM
mtdman's Avatar
mtdman mtdman is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: A2, Michigan
Posts: 3,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
Not true,everything I dofor money,
I do well,or I do it tell I do it well.I am a green industry professional,I do professional Landscaping for a living,
have built my business from nothing with a few tools and my own two hands.I am one of those people who can do MORE THAN ONE THING and do them very well,
when I mowed ,I mowed well and educated myself before I started,I never mowed to the degree alot of you have,but I had some crappy lawns that I turned into great lawns,I can spot a problem and tell you if it's environmental,or disease related.
I can grow a new lawn from seed that will make your neighbors green with envy.I can also install the irrigation system for it,install a timer for it and show you how to work it after I am gone.
You won't have to hire a drainage professional,a grading professional,an electrician and a irrigation professional to get your lawn installed cuz I do all those things very well.
As far as being respected as a professional in my community,I have a list of over 100 satisfied and happy clients on my ref list you can call before you hire me who all consider me very professional. So you tell me why a person can only do one thing and do it well?
I used to ride my horses and did that well,trained my dogs and did that well,I drive well. no tickets or accidents in over twenty years.(knock on wood!)
My point is not to sing my own praises but to say that I for one, believe that people can do many things and do them professionaly and very well.
All that stuff is green industry related. That all falls under 1 professional category. I'm not talking about someone who does mowing, irrigation, landscaping, etc all in one. I'm talking about the guy that builds decks, paints and repairs fences, cleans gutters, power washes siding, patches roofs, etc etc etc and then throws in lawn care at the bottom of the list because he's got a push mower in the truck as well. I know many professional painters, carpenters, roofers, builders, etc, and none of them would think to also do lawn mowing. Why is it that so many so-called professional lcos think they can also do all those professions all at once? It's those kind of jacks of all trades that brings the professionals down. IMO.

You seem to be the only one here singing her own praises, btw.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.12443 seconds with 7 queries