Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-29-2005, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is the wife hot? Maybe she's on the rebound... Lawn boy, pool boy, fed-ex man...Try anything you can to get the debt settled.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just received a phone call from his wife. She called and asked how much he owed me and I told her $210 and she immediately said how about a settlement of $90 or so. I said I didn't think so because this money has been owed for awhile and I never added late fee's etc. So I was already cutting them all the slack that could be expected. She then went on about how he passed and she berried him today. She said that she found my invoice in his pocket (that struck me as strange because I have not sent one in about 4 weeks.) Anyway, I gave her my condolences and all that. She asked if I would send a new invoice and she would pay it next week.

I don't know if she is hoping I will knock a few bucks off and that is why she mentioned a new invoice. What would you guys do. I think I am sending the whole amount. I'm definetely not knocking it down to $90 (might as well just say forget the bill completely).

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

sounds like he had a drug problem that he was hiding from his wife....but at least you got a call..
Old 04-29-2005, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a a green
sounds like he had a drug problem that he was hiding from his wife....but at least you got a call..
Yea, I knew as soon as she found out I would get paid. She told me the last time she found out that if he ever owed me money to let her know. I didn't want to cause anymore marital problems though and was waiting to tell her as a last resort to get paid. I always knew eventually I would get paid though.

trial here.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just got back from the post office. I mailed all invoices and she got billed for the full amount. I will let you guys know when I receive it.

Hopefully this will be $210 I can deduct from the $1500 I still have owed to me from last year. I pretty much wrote off the other and have that amount factored in as a business expense. This was the one invoice though that I thought I would collect someday, knowing I had the wife as my ace card. Hopefully she will prove me right.

trial here.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

did he owe you $1500 from last year? If so, I would collect that too. People die everyday, don't be a pushover.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian landscape
did he owe you $1500 from last year? If so, I would collect that too. People die everyday, don't be a pushover.
No, I meant $210 down about $1300 left to collect from other customers. I doubt I will collect any of it though. I wrote it off as part of business and just another expense. I kinda always thought I would collect on the $210 but if not then no big deal. That is why I thought about just giving this lady a break. She probably deserves it more then the other guys that just skipped town on me. I have 2 that moved on me owing me close to $400 each. I don't have hopes of collecting it but still waste the $0.37 each on a stamps each month sending invoices.

It seems like I lose about $1500 each year in bad debt. It's ok though because it is part of business. I just wanted advice what to do with this one situation that I let happen because I felt sorry for this person. I typically don't let people get by with this kind of behavior. I invoice at the end of the month and give one month and if no check comes I cancel. The bad thing is by then we are owed 2 months. 3-4 customers a year can put you at $1500 easily.

trial here.