Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-29-2005, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Member

need help on geeting new customers?

i just started a new lawncare sevice and i have passed out flyers and out of 100 flyers i got 1 call? wht am i doing wrong?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Absolutely nothing! 1 to 2 percent return on fliers is about all you can expect. Either put out an add, or at least knock on their doors next time. Face to face time about doubles your return, unless you have a face like mine.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

face to face, you say is double, so thats a 4% rate?

what about newspaper add, whats that % rate?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

i was wondering what is the best way to advertise your business in a area that you want to stay confined to?
Old 04-30-2005, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

targeting a certain area like a neighborhood i'de say going door to door with doorhangers, but thats on the more expensive side, flyers will do the trick & be about half of the price of an doorhanger
Old 05-01-2005, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

thank you for the help

thank you very much , i live in north west indaina,and my company is owend by me and my best friend . just found out that i can get some goverment jobs becuse were both females. ill writ back and tell every one how that works. thank you again.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

YOu Go Girls!

Hi gang, just keep posting them flyer's, I posted one at the local bakery and one and the local grocery store. Made flyer's on my home computer along with some business cards, I put up the flier then thumbtacked a few biz cards next to the flier, did this on Wednesday evening while buying some milk and bread.

I got a call on Saturday from a man who is tired of mowing his moms place, ask for an est, so I met him at her house, walked and talked for about 20 mins. the lot was 3/4 to 1 acre. I guessed that by thinking how much bigger it was than my .66 acre lot is. he asked well how much you thinking, it hadn't been mowed yet this season, I said well Ill pick up some sticks trim edge and mow 1st time for 50.00 than 40 next time for just mow and trim. He agreed to let me have at it. and then said he would check out my work and get back to me! I went today and did the job.
Now all i can do is hope he liked it and wait for his call back.
I checked my local paper for ad prices, 28.00 for a one color ad 2x4 inches for one week!

It goes to 7000 houses per week. My Goal for the season is to get maybe 7 ~ 10 accounts. I've just started my business on my new sons birthday March 31 05 And hope it grows good.
I'm going to be a stay at home dad (god bless my wonderful wife and her awesome job & benifits) So I'll only have time to mow after shes done working and on weekends. Thanx again to everybody for all the good info I've got here, heck if I can do this anyone can Now get out there and Mow!

Gravely ZT XL 48" 24hp Kawasaki
Husqvarna 48" Belt drive W/ETS W/Pro-slide
21 White W/bagger
Toro 4 Stroke B/P blower
Toro Split shaft trimmer
assorted attachments 5x8 trailer
94 ECLB 6.5 K2500 Chevy ~ SnoWay 8ft plow
Old 07-03-2005, 04:58 AM

$28.00 for 7 days isn't bad. But, for the same $28.00 you could get quite a few flyer's.

You should dedicate 2-3 days to just advertising. Just get out there and slam those flyer's at every house possible.

1 house for every 100 isn't that bad if you think about it. That means you pass out 1,000 flyer's and you'll get 10 accounts! (Hopefully)
Old 07-27-2005, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My sister in law is a Realtor. I talked to her and ask about how they advertise and she said Direct mail...."We've all seen'em"

anyway she said there is about a 5% call back and on that about 5% of that 5% turns into a customer...

You'r not doing anything wrong......

That's just the way it is.....
Old 07-31-2005, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have not had to do any advertising this year. Everything was word of mouth. I gained an average of one new client per week. I ahd t start turning the m down because of the amount. I am at 20 per week right now but am going to grow now that I am getting the eXmark!

Summer Setup

Ford Trucks
PJ Trailers
JD & Wright Equipment/Mowers