Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-29-2005, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Walker Hydrostatic Drive-Rebuild?

I am still trying to determine if a Walker Hydrostatic drive can be rebuilt. I have learned it is built by Eaton. My Walker manual shows some parts for the input shaft side(gear/bearing/seal etc.). It has been suggested that you can't open the system but since Walker sells bearings and seal this suggests otherwise. Has any of you Walker guys had one rebuilt?? And has anybody used JD Thomas replacement part?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The input shaft and input shaft bearing are replaced by removing the input pulley and then removing a snap ring and PULLING them out from the OUTSIDE. You DO NOT take the pump apart to replace the input shaft and input bearing. If you ever did take pump apart you would need a press to put it back together. The put has 5 or is it 6 pistons that are spring loaded. You remove the bolts that hold the pump housing halves together and you will have parts flying all over the place. Now I have not took one apart but that is what Walker and Eaton has told us. I have replaced the input shaft and bearing on these pumps before. Some special tools are needed to make it easy to do. And I thank that the pumps that JD Thomas sells are Eaton pumps. This sounds like I have read your post before, did you post this on a Yahoo group?
Old 05-01-2005, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for response yes I asked about this before...I have not taken the hyro out yet but there is a slight leak. It donesn't sound like fixing the leak will have any affect on the drive(surging on and off). I am concerned about how to be sure that I have a hydro problem and not the downstream drive train. I intend to put it in garage and jack it up and release pressure and roll it over to be sure it all rotates freely...any thing else I can do.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hay, I got a 2004 walker that i bought brand new and it's got 275 hours on it now, ever since the beginning when I get the hydros hot like after mowing for more then 30 min. it gets sloppy. I can drive on a perfectly flat road and at full speed it will drive straight then it seem that the left hydro will kick out for a second and the mower will start going to the left then it will kick in and jerk to the right and it will constantly keep doing it. I told my dealer and had them check it out but they could not really find anything wrong. The mechanic said that there is something wrong but not major and he dosent want to put a new hydro in it because if eaton says there's nothing wrong with it then it comes out of his pocket. Does anyone know what might be wrong with the hydros or what i can do to fix it. It's really gettin me mad because its pretty hard to make a straight line for striping a property. thanks.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is the same symption that I have...it kicks out for just a short time. But if I try backing up a ramp on my trailer I have to pull the handle back almost all the way back on the side that ocassionally fails. Since those actuating lever are spring loaded back to normal, if they fail to go back after you actuate on side you could get a delay in action. So if you pull back on one side and it don't return immediately you will get a jerk when it pops back forward. That is what yours sounds like. But in my case the unit won't drive back and that can't be in the actuating arms since it is a solid condition. Don't know if this makes sense
Old 05-01-2005, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess
Thanks for response yes I asked about this before...I have not taken the hyro out yet but there is a slight leak. It donesn't sound like fixing the leak will have any affect on the drive(surging on and off). I am concerned about how to be sure that I have a hydro problem and not the downstream drive train. I intend to put it in garage and jack it up and release pressure and roll it over to be sure it all rotates freely...any thing else I can do.
There is nothing down stream that really can go bad. If it did you would hear one he$$ of a noise because the final drive is ALL steel gears on steel gears. I have a Walker in the shop right now that is doing the same thing on the right side. A pump has been ordered and I will be putting it in some time this week (when it come in). I will let you know how it goes.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2005, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

a couple of the situations mentioned, about the hydro wanting to slow down or stop when hot. Sounds like an air leak somewhere... Like air is somehow getting into the fluid or the fluid itself is foaming for some reason. I know walkers are mostly sealed and have no oil lines so how the sir could be getting in there is beyond me, but it's something to think about.

I give idea because it happened to me on my 50" dixon. hydros would work fine, then suddenly one side or the other would shutter or as it got worse totally stop. I'd disengage the drive to the pumps, reengague it and it would work fine for a bit. I wnt thru the system and tightned a few clamps on hoses and replaced the fliter, which was leaking fluid, and put new mobile 15-50 in it. Now it works just like new again. Where exactly the air was getting in I dunno, but that was my mechanics guess and he was right.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I was wondering if air can get in the pump at the input shaft seal. Mine is leaking at that seal so I am thinking about replacing that seal and crank it back up before changing out the hydro. It doesn't look like there is any way to drain the Walker but I was thinking about pumping out the fluid. Maybe somebody put in the wrong kind of oil before I got the unit.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess
Yes I was wondering if air can get in the pump at the input shaft seal. Mine is leaking at that seal so I am thinking about replacing that seal and crank it back up before changing out the hydro. It doesn't look like there is any way to drain the Walker but I was thinking about pumping out the fluid. Maybe somebody put in the wrong kind of oil before I got the unit.
Check this out, it will tell all about changing the hydro fluid. Read post number 3.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69075
Old 05-02-2005, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A few years ago B. J. Hydraulics offered rebuilt Walker hydros. The phone number in my computer is 616.623.5736 but the last access date was in 1998.

Oldtimer