Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-21-2005, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Green Slime

Ok, so due to my own stupidity I ended up with a flat tire on my WB today. And worse yet at the bottom of a big hill. Anyway I made it to the top somehow, man that sucked. I have heard of this stuff called green slime that is supposed to prevent leaks, seal tires, etc. Does anyone use it? Recommend it? Thanks!
Old 05-21-2005, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I really like the "slime" the green stuff! Ive used several brands and the green goo seems to work the best. Once in a while I see some oozing out of a new hole in one of the tires on my Z. It will ooze for a bit till it dries in the hole and seals it. So far so good. Iv'e been using it about 3 years. Some I tried before 'ameraseal' and the stuff in the can that inflates the tire too seems to work, but only for a while, then it either dries out in the tire or breaks down and stops sealing. One thing for sure, if you have to take the tires off the rims you or your tire guy will hate the stuff. slick and nasty... Also, speaking of rims, I know that some of the tire sealants can actually rust out steel rims. I don't remember if slime claims to not do that or not, surely, for the price of it, it wouldn't.

P.S. get the gallon jug with the pump. Generally I find the gallon to be about the same price as 2 or 3 quart bottles. Still around 55 bucks!
Old 05-21-2005, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Member

IF you use SLIME it is about the same as using Fix A flat when it comes time to getting new tires you either one have to SPEND alot of time CLeaning the rim Or 2 Buy a new rim

Better off just buying a new rim but then again that is costly
Old 05-21-2005, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use the green "Slime" in all my inflatable tires on the wb and "Z". I had two flats before I put the Slime in and none since. Like Jason said, the stuff works.

Jim
Old 05-21-2005, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes it does work BUT one day those tires will wear out and then your stuck with having to buy a new rim OR spending alot of TIME trying to clean the GUNK off of the rim so the new tire will seal

I know of a few tire guys that wont touch a rim that has had SLIME or Fix a Flat in it
Old 05-21-2005, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We only use tire plugs. We NEVER use slime or fix a flat, I make sure the both crew leaders always have them in the trailers.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:59 AM

I use Slime for a long time. Has not hurt the rims and it works great. For the bigger holes I use plugs. I do know fix a flat will ruin rims(found that out on the auto)
Old 05-21-2005, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am with Charles. Also, get the fix a flat with the black rubber pieces in it.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.” - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-21-2005, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

all mine are slimed, I 'm my own tire guy, haven't had a problem dealing with it in the past on car tires so i really don't see a problem coming with the equipment tires either.
depending on whats inside them, most the time refusal to work with the tires & rims is do to the terrible odor that is in them, most guys can't handle it and usually its not known until the bead is broken, plug your nose when replacing the tire.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using it on my mountain bikes for as long as I can remember (probably more than 10 years).
Congressman: I want to go to war.
All of Congress: I want to go to war.
Dick Cheney: I was the first one who wanted to go to war.