Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-01-2005, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Craftsman is good for tools, but mowers and trimmers ,, naaah. heck lowes and home cheapo sell better stuff anymore. just my .02$
Old 05-01-2005, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Look in the local paper and poss bargin trader. I have bought some used eqpt. Started out the same way and have grown from there. Poss try to get some more work and can justfy spending more on better stuff. You will get what you pay for. if you plan on poss doing more work in the future try to spend a little more and get some better stuff that will last. ( if you build it they will come) Good luck
Old 05-01-2005, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil
I am cutting just 10 lawns for some friends. I don't want to spend more than $500. are those 21'' mowers good enough to do a decent job? I don't want to spend a fortune in purchasing an expensive mower if I am only going to cut 10 lawns in one week.
Is there anybody out there with my same question?
I want to know what you guys use.
Thanks
Gil
I was wondering the same thing. I've been looking in to starting my own mowing
business but I don't have all kinds of money to spend on commercial equipment right now.

I know you pros recommend commercial equipment but is it possible or wise to start a bussiness with non-commercial equipment?

(sorry gil, didn't mean to hijack your thread... )
Old 05-01-2005, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

i run a 15yr old JD 14sb and my helper runs a 9yr old JD 14sz. my kawasaki runs perfect, but the briggs is starting to burn a bit of oil, just enough to smell. just greasing the axle bushings extends life. the only problem is the wheels, they have a bearing and a bushing in them but the tread wears out sooner, wheels are $20 each.
i calculate my mower has around 1100 hrs on it. had to replace the rear axle and bushings because the previous owner forgot to grease them, but im still on the original blade clutch.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you guys know anything about the MTD lawn mower? I saw a 21", 6.5Hp with a Honda engine. I think it was close to $400. I never heard about that brand. Is it reliable?
Old 05-01-2005, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've beat the crap out of my Husquvarna 21" Hi-Vac and its selfpropelled and we are using it again this season. It runs like new and cuts like new. Paid about 499.00 I think they are cheaper this year.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 05-01-2005, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mower11
I was wondering the same thing. I've been looking in to starting my own mowing
business but I don't have all kinds of money to spend on commercial equipment right now.

I know you pros recommend commercial equipment but is it possible or wise to start a bussiness with non-commercial equipment?

(sorry gil, didn't mean to hijack your thread... )
Yes its possible to start without commercial equipment. We did it. However, I wouldn't recommend it if you are planning on building a decent business. If I could do it over again, I would've spent a little extra money for the quality equipment in the beginning. You'll save money and headaches in the long run.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+ Lawncare
get a homeowners 21'' toro 6.5hp briggs self paced @ $500, closest mower you'll get 2 a commercial mower @ that price.... as your friend, i'll give ya some word of advice stay away from crapsmen

I just got a Toro 22" self-propelled with the electric start at Home Depot for $399. Good control, mulches like a beast, and can handle a lot in the bag if you decide to do any bagging. I have about the same amount of laws and yourself and it's good for the money.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+ Lawncare
get a homeowners 21'' toro 6.5hp briggs self paced @ $500, closest mower you'll get 2 a commercial mower @ that price.... as your friend, i'll give ya some word of advice stay away from crapsmen
/\ That pretty much sums it up, would be my advice exactly.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have to agree that if you are not going to get a commercial mower, I'd go with Toro.
I have been in the same boat, and mowing 10-12 yards for 2 years now with a Toro 22". Had a craftsman the first year, and it was getting tired already.
Just keep your blade sharp, as it is easier on the engine, and keep it nicely oiled. save up and prepare if it ever goes out.
mine has paid for itself ten times over, and made well enough to upgrade when the time comes.