Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2005, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark Question

I am looking at a used Exmark WB. It's a Turf Tracer 60" w/ ECS. One thing i don't understand are the controls. Explain these to me. Are they not infinitely variable. There is a lever in the middle with N and 1-5. This is the only hydro that i have looked at like this. How do they compare to say a Gravely Pro-Steer or my old Snapper Hydro Pro (bout the same as Gravely's Pro-Steer)??
7'x18' Custom Open Trailer
7'x12' Big Tex Open Trailer
8.5'x24' King American Enclosed
2006 Grasshopper 928D 61" (4,700 hrs!! )
2011 Grasshopper 930D
2005 JD 737 60"
Snapper 21" Hi-Vac Commercial
Lawnboy 21" Duraforce x2
Shindaiwa: T2500 | T231 | T242 | LE261 | EB630RT | 488 | DH2510 | RS76S
Tanaka: TBC-255PF | TBC-280PF | TPH-270PF
Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS
Old 04-30-2005, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You know, this bugs me. We are an Exmark dealer, and the first time I was able to put my hands on a hydro walk behind I felt it was rather awkward.

Maybe the other brands are like it also. I have not seen hydro wb of other brand though, so cannot comment.

Having that stick there to control the speed would be fine if there were a steering wheel like on a garden tractor, but the fact that to safely operate the mower you should have both hands on the grips, it does not make sense.

Wonder why they were not able to design the speed control past neutral into the grips.

Should have had a lever to shift from N neutral to drive and used the levers to control the speed.

Now, the way reverse works on this machine though might make the integration of the drive into the handle pressure different.

But probably could use motorcycle style grips and cables that a progressive forward twist would give you progressively faster forward speed, then release, back to neutral, and then a reverse twist would give you the reverse speed.

The stick control just seems like it takes too many hands to operate smoothly like a hydrostatic drive should.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It just doesn't seem like a hydro to me with that there. Seems like a well developed belt drive!
7'x18' Custom Open Trailer
7'x12' Big Tex Open Trailer
8.5'x24' King American Enclosed
2006 Grasshopper 928D 61" (4,700 hrs!! )
2011 Grasshopper 930D
2005 JD 737 60"
Snapper 21" Hi-Vac Commercial
Lawnboy 21" Duraforce x2
Shindaiwa: T2500 | T231 | T242 | LE261 | EB630RT | 488 | DH2510 | RS76S
Tanaka: TBC-255PF | TBC-280PF | TPH-270PF
Fisher 8'6" Extreme V SS
Old 04-30-2005, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a eXmark 48 inch tthp that is 6 years old, and just last month, I got a eXmark 60 inch turf tracer with the ECS controls. I like the Ecs controls a lot better than the pistol grips.

Both of the mowers are hydro, and are infinite forward and reverse. The stick in the middle is for the speed that you want to go while mowing. Normally you set it on 4 or 5 and let her rip.
When you want to go around a tree, etc, you just pull the grips back until it starts to brake and slow down. You do not have to be playing with the stick in the middle all the time.

I think the eXmarks beat the snapper pro mowers, I have never seen a gravley mower, but have demoed a hustler walk behind and went with the eXmark because of the quality of cut issues people on here were talking about.

Take the 60 inch turf tracer and demo it on your properties. You will see the mower is a true hydro with infinite foward and reverse, and a versitile machine capeable of doing large and smaller properties. I love my exmarks...
Old 04-30-2005, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I mostly agree, demo the machine, except skip the demo part! Buy it as fast as you can. I am so pleased with my Exmarks and ECS I could plant a big ol' kiss on those red money makers. I used one of our older 48" WBs and I hate those pistol grips. Once you go ECS you will never look back. Exmark is IMO the best mower you can buy today.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea I second that. I could not be happier with my TTHP ECS. The controls took about 15-20 to get really comfortable with but after that its smooth sailing. Its very easy to operate even to change speed while moving. You will not be disappointed with ECS. I have never used a Pro-steer so I don't know the differences but the Exmark is top notch.
Old 04-30-2005, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only one to NOT use a speed control leaver is hustler. I could be wrong when i say all but most do use the stick.
John
Old 04-30-2005, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

"I used one of our older 48" WBs and I hate those pistol grips."

Check ebay I am seeing those kits to switch over and older machine going pretty cheap!!!

ECS is great, when I run the TT's I find once I am moving I have the speed selector all the way forward and control speed with the "grips" them selves. WFO for me!!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

SCAG has the same "stick". It just sets your max speed.