Register free!

Old 04-30-2005, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

15' Pines Falling Down!

I have a costumer with 15' pines about 5 of them that are falling down but are still healthy and she want's me to stand them back up any suggestion on how to do it and what to use to tie them back to hold them.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How big are the trunks??

How long have they been "falling down"?

It might be a good idea to check the soil/root structure. If its real wet all the time standing the things up and staking them might not help much. Remember that staking carries some of the load and in some cases will weaken the roots.

If it were me, and the trees were about 2-3" in diameter at the base, I might try looping a rope around the tree about 8' up and pulling by hand, with truck .... then stake and guy wire it. The only way I'd do this is if I had a good feeling the ground would be stable enough to support the pull on the roots. Pines are somewhat weak anyway......are the trees just bending or are they actually falling down right from the roots?????
Old 04-30-2005, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Freddy thank's for reply, they are pulling out of the ground at the roots and it's happened just recently we had a wind storm about a week ago! 2 of them I can use my truck with a comalong but the others are in the back yard and their is no access with truck that's my problem they are to heavy to pull and hold while we tie them!

Thanks
Joe
Old 04-30-2005, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a tough one if you can't get your truck back there.

Maybe a T bar out of 2x4's and a small hydraulic jack to push them back into place while you stake???

Are the roots pulled out too?? Are you doing a lot of work on trees that are gonna die anyway??

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2005, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

for the ones in the back yard, go to TSC store and buy a big a$$ screw in anchor, Them things are made to hold telephone poles, I've used them before for a anchor point for using a come a long and a big one holds really well.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumper1620
for the ones in the back yard, go to TSC store and buy a big a$$ screw in anchor, Them things are made to hold telephone poles, I've used them before for a anchor point for using a come a long and a big one holds really well.
Ditto They work so well I've used them as anchor points to winch stuck trucks out of fields before when no other anchor was available.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

a comealong and an anchor with a ring to hook the comealong to MABEY! But I would say those trees are gonners and will just blow back down next big wind,also if your gonna do the rope thing,put some good soft padding bettween the rope and the place your gonna tie it around the tree.The little ones you could save,but the bigger ones I doubt.Tell your cust that it would be better and cheaper for her in the long run if she replaced the tree's with some that can handle the wind better.With soft ground and heavy wind,often even full grown pines go down,and that may be a threat to her home and to her in the future if you save the trees and allow them to mature.My opinion
Old 05-02-2005, 02:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

z or walk behind and another guy to guide the tree up. stake and guy wire.
Also make sure to trim every 3d branch as you go up from the base trunk to reduce topload and to thin to keep the wind from blowing over again.
We have this problem lots along the river. good wind goes up and newer trees come down. about 90% survive as long as there is still a good root system still entact.