Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2005, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Stick edger versus walk behind 4 wheel edger

Lawnsite Team

What are the benefits of a hand held stick edger over a walk behind 4 wheel blade edger. We currently use a 4 wheel walk behind edger that is getting close to its end of life and I am trying to determine if I should get a stick edger to replace it or another walk behind. How easy are the stick edgers to use and set the edging depth?

Thanks Wayne
Old 05-01-2005, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

stick edgers

the benefit of a stick edger is faster to use saves you more time than would a convential walkbehind edger but if the yard is really bad in over grown grass like where i live the st. agustine can grow quite long be good to use the walkbehind since they tend too have more power.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromTEXAS!
the benefit of a stick edger is faster to use saves you more time than would a convential walkbehind edger but if the yard is really bad in over grown grass like where i live the st. agustine can grow quite long be good to use the walkbehind since they tend too have more power.
Exactly what he said.
www.hrbuyersandsellers.com
WE BUY HOUSES
Old 05-01-2005, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Also, if you have any props that have any plentiful amount of edging, a wheeled is better, too. Anything over 5 minutes worth, break out the wheeled edger. There is just SO much less fatigue with it compared to a stick edger. Don't get me wrong, a stick isn't that bad, but you do have to keep down pressure applied. After 5 minutes, the feasibility of the "quick off the trailer" is outweighed. With a wheeled edger, it's like all you have to do is hold on loosely, and don't even have to carry it.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Also, if you have any props that have any plentiful amount of edging, a wheeled is better, too. Anything over 5 minutes worth, break out the wheeled edger. There is just SO much less fatigue with it compared to a stick edger. Don't get me wrong, a stick isn't that bad, but you do have to keep down pressure applied. After 5 minutes, the feasibility of the "quick off the trailer" is outweighed. With a wheeled edger, it's like all you have to do is hold on loosely, and don't even have to carry it.
I agree with runner, but I like the stick on flower beds, never have been able to get the wheeled edger to preform in the yard around a bed

Old 05-06-2005, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Lawnsite Team

Thanks Lawnsite Team

I was hoping to make a big gain over my wheeled edger. Looks like the gain could be less than expected as about half of my lots are grouped together. This permits me to pull wheel edger and run multiple poperties with each tool. I still might get one for the single properties where the stick edger would be used a few minutes. But looks like I will not be eliminating the stick edger from the trailer. Now I will have more time to study which brand. Looking at the 4mix Stihl or the Redmax both in the straight shaft version.

Thanks again

Wayne
Old 05-06-2005, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a stihl stick edger...I love it! It works faster than I could trim with it. It works great. I couldn't do without it.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victor nor defeat.”

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-06-2005, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hands down the stick edger it easier for curbs
Old 05-07-2005, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

stick

i have both, once edge established never use anything but stick edger. twice as fast for me the bigger the place the more times it saves
Old 05-07-2005, 05:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITL
Now I will have more time to study which brand. Looking at the 4mix Stihl or the Redmax both in the straight shaft version.

Thanks again

Wayne
I have been eying Stihl stick edgers as well... is there that much more power with the Stihl 4Mix over the other Stihl models?

Craig